Any fans here? I thought I'd start a thread to discuss the finer points, controversies, drama and event results of the Formula One season. We're nine races in to the current season. Here's what I posted about yesterday's race on a different forum. It lacks context maybe since this thread is only starting. If you're a fan of the sport, jump in and give your thoughts and opinions.
Another clinical victory for Max, I guess, since he's out in front so much he doesn't actually appear on the broadcast I watch. If I saw his car for more than four minutes yesterday I'd be surprised. So judging by the margin of victory I'd say he probably drove it well haha. Clearly he's in the fastest car, but he is making that count. To illustrate how good he was, his fastest lap was 1.5 seconds faster than the second-best (Norris) and nearly 2 seconds faster than any other car.
Perez showed poor judgement with the attempt to go around Norris in turn 4. Too early to be trying something like that, and so hard to make it stick. But if you can get alongside you're then on the inside on the entrance to turn 5 so it can work.
As to the penalty-fest, that's not what I want to see. But my view is that if another car is alongside you must leave a lane. Norris' left front was on the red and white kerb on the exit and there was no track, let alone a lane. I don't see how anything else is acceptable, and the commentators in the broadcast felt it was hard racing and legit. I think the car on the inside must leave a car's width. This is nothing to do with it being a Red Bull, but just what is needed to ensure cars aren't pushed in to traps, walls and run-offs. The stewards seem to agree. No matter how harebrained, aggressive or stupid the other driver is, he has to be given room to stay on the track.
Ricciardo had a good run. I've been critical, but he looked good yesterday and scored the car and good points. McLaren need both cars in the mix and got that yesterday.
Alpha Tauri didn't justify my expectation. Maybe because they started on softs, but just a P9 after their excellent qualifying is a disappointment. Ferrari again did well. They'd love to be a little higher in the finishing order, but scoring both cars week in, week out is the primary objective as they try to hunt down the Mclarens. Still, they went backwards this week, with Lando's great drive to the podium. Lando's 101 points are not far away from both Ferrari's total of 122. If Ricciardo had hit the ground running this season McLaren would be out of sight.
Gutted for Russell, who came oh so close. His points are surely coming. Kimi nearly finished 11th, but didn't. Alonso scored, taking that point away from Williams, and he seems to be on a streak. Must be four or five races straight now. The Alpine is the best sounding car on the grid too.