Something I've wanted to bring up but it keeps slipping my mind is Gasly's penalty for his first-lap contact with Alonso in Turkey. How was this more fault than Ricciardo's first-lap contact with Bottas in Mexico that did not get a penalty? And Gasly's incident was in the wet. I'm OK with the rules usually, but when they are applied in a seemingly inconsistent manner I take issue.

I commented after Turkey about this. How first-lap incidents like this are largely classified as 'racing incidents'. So why was Gasly penalized but not Ricciardo? I'd argue that Ricciardo had done more to cause his incident than Gasly did in his. Masi and F1 need to square this away and apply the rules evenly. That 5-second penalty for Gasly promoted Hamilton one spot in the final order too.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss