One thing that has taken me by surprise with 76 is how much content there is to be done solo. It's really a complete single player game set in a multiplayer world.
Yeah, that's how I would describe it as well. In fact, I like this new Fallout setup so much that I don't think I could ever go back to a purely single player experience like what you have in Fallout 4.
Just to give you an idea of how disastrous the initial launch was for F76, NONE of the single player missions you have been doing were part of the game. Those were added later. The original vision for F76 was to be a purely multiplayer experience with the events and such. There weren't even any NPC's in the game at launch!
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”