Thanks Crane. I went with semi-auto in FO4, but I seem to prefer automatic weapons in New Vegas. I may check out the Medicine Stick at some point. It's very expensive, which is not a big deal in New Vegas. But I also read up on Old World Blues and saw the prices of the auto-doc mods. I plan to try that DLC some time soon, and I'll want to grab some of these. And to do that I'll need a mountain of cash, so I need to start building that up and not spend it lavishly on whatever shiny trinket catches my eye.
I'm torn about my faction choice. I'm at the point where House wants me to kill the BoS, which I don't really care to do. I don't feel any affinity for them, but conversely I don't wish them gone.
My level 32 perk choice was Light Touch, which I'd never taken before. It's another +5% crit chance, which synergizes well with my build, but it also grants -25% crit chance for enemies. I assume that many, most or even all of the NPC enemies have a crit chance of 25% or lower. If that's true, it would seem this perk may virtually eliminate getting struck by any crits. If so that seems incredibly strong from a defensive point of view. The Courier must be clad in light armor for this perk to work, which of course I am. It may not work exactly as I assume it does. It could instead mean their crit chance, whatever it is, is reduced by 25%. For example, if they have a crit chance of 10%, with this perk it become 7.5%, which is not much of an advantage. I should have figured this out before taking the perk
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss