Raine, too bad about that Pfalz. No matter, George now has something else to aim at: one schoolteacher’s hart.
Albert, whatever the name of that new tactic the French have developed, it seems to be working. So, a gasbag affair. Always full of excitement missions of this sort. And more Yanks! They are starting to get more numerous over there. Lovely set of pics.
Lou, better start buying those stocks in the Société, but remember to dump them as soon as war is over. And it is true, Rudi’s broken that 60 mark. HQ’s been kind to him this time. So, Conteville continues to be a miserable hole in the ground. No food, no shelter and rain. No wonder the Germans are winning! I’m sure they’re scouting all those good aerodromes that the Brits have left in such a hurry.
R.Talbot, don’t be a stranger. As to your question - it’s up to Raine, I suppose.
Epower, well ... LtCasey’s pilot is getting a nickname already, why not Rudi? Attila suits him just fine. As to the claims board ... it’s hit and miss, very unlike that Camel dispersion. So, does Oliver feel the need? The need for speed? Those advanced combat maneuvers will put hair on your chest and against a Bullet, no less. It’s a mystery why that plane was skipped over. On the other hand if they had, we may never had seen other planes. They had a winner on their hands, why bother with Camel? Shame about Barlow. Keep Oliver’s butt safe. Lovely bit of research there.
LtCasey, well done. Investors enjoyed comparing the German report to its English version. It’s interesting you are translating Kaiser, or the ranks. It looks like Arnie’s C.O is a hardass. He will have to work hard to earn his respect. Looking forward to his first flight and first combat.
29 March, 1918 09:45 Fontaine-Uterte, Flanders Sector Jasta 19, JG II Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM 63 confirmed kills
All planes claimed yesterday have been confirmed. It is a rollercoaster with the claims board. With the claim confirmations also came Rudi’s promotion to the rank of Oberleutnant.
“- What’s the matter with you?” Tybelsky dropped beside Rudi at their usual table in the Kasino. The young pilot wasn’t himself since his return from today’s mission. He picked up a drink and began his story: “- We were sent to intercept enemy planes crossing the lines near Gonnelieu. There was a thick cloud layer below and blue skies above. We were near the top of those clouds when we spotted them even higher than us. It all started well enough. They came down to meet us and the furball was in full swing. Airplanes everywhere. I tried to stay away from the epicentre as much as I could. It would have been easy to collide with just about anyone. But then I targeted one of the SPADs and began my hunt. I put a few rounds in him before another one of the devils fired at me as he went by. I would not stand for this. My original target quickly forgotten I went instead after my attacker. I returned the favour and continued to pester the little bugger. He was good, well trained and aggressive. Each time I nearly had him, he dove lower and lower into the clouds. Two more Dreideckers kept up with us and after a while it was getting crowded there. I thought to myself: This is crazy! We’re going to smash into each other.” Rudi took another sip of his drink. “- I finally decided it wasn’t worth it and watched from above as the other two triplanes took care of the Franzose. We were beneath the cloud layer now and just over the enemy trenches. I could see it all and stayed out of range. Another SPAD was flying low, chased by the Fokkers. I circled above and watched. Stupid me. I watched below instead of what’s at my back! RAT-TA-TAT! Another SPAD, right on my tail. More holes in my machine. Me banking and diving to get away. My Fokker wasn’t responding well. I was in trouble. Another circle, more fire from behind. I dove again and right into the sights of the machine guns below. My Fokker was getting mauled.” Rudi’s hands were shaking. He spilled some of his drink. “- I thought I was doomed. The SPAD was on me, but then another Fokker got him off my tail and I left them there. Ran away like a coward...” Fuchs finished his drink.
"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys, The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain, From out of my arse take the camshaft, And assemble the engine again."