MFair, glad to see Harris came out of this with just a scratch. He needs to take care and stay with the rest of his flight at all times to take advantage of their protection.
Balloon defence near Diksmuide. Two collided, one shot down. The Kasino was loud. Träger’s dog Greif was jumping on everyone and making racket. The men conversed enthusiastically. They’ve just returned from their morning mission. Some still in their flight gear, drinking and boasting. It was an exciting mission. The two flights were sent to protect the balloon near Diksmuide. None of them reached their destination. All the action occurred right near the aerodrome. They’ve been attacked by the RFC and the men couldn’t stop talking about it. Jakob Wolff, as usual, was handing out cigars like candy. “- I was right behind young Ziggy and had the front row seat!” Wolff had to be the loudest of them all. “- As we formed up after take off I could see a hive of Englanders dropping on us from the sun. We all scattered and they just dropped right in the middle of us. There were planes everywhere. I think those were Pups, am I right Julius?” Buckler raised his head upon hearing his name, distracted from his own story being re-told to others sitting around. Greif howled. “- Yes, I’m right!” Wolff continued. “So, these Pups were everywhere. In front, behind, anywhere you looked. One of them latched onto my tail and I couldn’t shake him. Young Zygmunt here came to the rescue. Have another cigar.” He shoved one of the long, fat stogies in Ziggy’s mouth. “- He shot at the blighter and spooked him. He then caught two of those Tommies on his tail. I tried to swat them away, but I couldn’t get into position. Then something extraordinary happened. As they were circling like mad around each other, Ziggy got off a few rounds and the Englander decided to run. He kept looking behind to prevent young Ziggy here lining up the shot. He should have instead been looking ahead. The poor sod flew right into one of his own! The two Sopwiths went down. Hey Ziggy, did you claim both of them?” “- Nein Jakob, only one. I only shot at one of them.” Hahn responded still trying to spit out a bit of tobacco stuck to his tooth. Wolff continued: “- Seeing this, the rest of the Britishers decided it was time to make themselves scarce and made a beeline for das Zwischengelände, but it was not all over. We both saw another Pup and we both gave chase. Ziggy was closer but I was gaining and I would have overtaken him to take the prize, was it not for the louts flying in the opposite direction chasing another Pup. Was that you Träger? You Schwein!” There was only a rude hand gesture coming from Träger in response. “- Anyway, I had to swerve to avoid the other planes, while Ziggy continued on and in the end shot down the Pup. He went down west of the aerodrome. We can go take a look at the wreckage after the afternoon mission. Julius, did you get any of them?” Buckler was about to respond when the air raid siren went off. All the men jumped to their feet and filed out the door towards their machines. Greif stayed behind barking at nothing in particular...
"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys, The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain, From out of my arse take the camshaft, And assemble the engine again."