6) "1917" - I saved the best for last. This is one of the most exceptional war movies I have seen in decades. The director demonstrated complete respect for the men who died in World War 1, and as a viewer, you will leave your viewing with many emotions, as one should. I am having a hard time coming up with a rating, because honestly the impact from this picture was so great. Any kid who thinks they are superman and "killing is cool" should watch this movie. This is the real thing. War is hell. I respect those here who have served and faced death for freedom even more. The weight they bear after serving must be tremendous. *** 3/4 out of **** stars. I could almost give this a perfect score. I probably should. But I don't know how well the movie will stand the test of time, yet. To reach the perfect category the film would have to reach the heights of "Full Metal Jacket," which is a darned hard bar to cross. Still, this film is more serious, in many ways, and is downright shocking, sobering, and heartbreaking. Watch this if you have not.
I was dead set convinced that 1917 was going to flop commercially in the US because of the subject matter but I was very happy to be proven wrong. The film was so well done cinematically that it outweighed the time and setting.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”