Saw two movies and finished a show:

1) "Good Time." -- Whoa. This movie was quite something. Rare is there a film where I despise the protagonist--someone truly wicked and rotten, but here we have one, and the movie was good. Go into this expecting a twisting, turning adventure and sit back and enjoy. Hard to rate, though. At a minimum we have a three star film, but I might even rate this up to *** 1/2 out of **** stars. I can't decide. Maybe I will split the difference. As I said, this was quite something.

2) "Good Neighbours." -- Another thriller with some twists and turns. Basically a murderer is on the loose and the film revolves around the lives of a few folks in a Canadian apartment building. Quirky, interesting and worth a watch. *** out of **** stars.


3) A series: "The Americans" -- Great series. I must say, like "Good time," "Americans" has a protagonist that is despicable. Basically this is about a couple of Russian spies who live in America and do things for the Soviet cause, and picks up in 1980 and spans most of the decade while they do dirty deeds and raise their two kids. One of the spies is a relatively "decent" person while the other is just an awful, soulless husk of psychopathic human being who seems to have absolutely zero morals, feelings, or reservations about anything save for herself and her "country." I have never wanted a protagonist killed off so badly in a show, ever. I wanted her dead. Given the subject matter, they handled the period pretty well. Oh, I should also mention their next door neighbor is... a FBI agent in the counterterrorism division. This was a good show. They explore communism, capitalism, and even tastes of religion as we delved deeper down the rabbit hole--and the writers were not afraid to show the pros and cons of both societies. There are shades of grey everywhere--but the darker sides of communism certainly are not neglected and allowed to slide. Certainly after watching my original feelings of how bad communism was at the time are better founded. Yes, this was fiction, but there was a fair bit of fact here, too. Not good enough to be tops, but decent enough to beat out of a lot of other shows. This one is worth anyone's time. *** 1/2 out of **** stars.


Now I have to find a new series to watch. frown

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 03/08/22 05:50 PM.