Originally Posted by jenrick
Quote
However this just proves that the official testers are spending too much time in the hornet to bother actually doing their job and test the software being released to run the Hornet.


I don't know how big DCS's QA team is, but I'm gonna guess it's small, real small. I was QA lead for Acclaim Entertainment's Austin studio back in the early 2000's, and we dealt with console titles exclusively. I had 18 guys working for me at any given time, which at the time was the worlds largest studio QA team (sure sounded good on my resume). That was for a publisher with AAA titles, huge budgets etc., 18 testers. It would take my guys a week to roll through a platformer, so imagine what testing something as free form as DCS would be like? The publishers are where the big groups of testers are (corporate had between 100-300 testers on at any given time depending on what was getting close to release), and ED doesn't have a publisher to provide that kind of support.

So not saying that particular bug should/shouldn't have made it out into the wild (also remember 2.5 is beta, not release). Just remember that ED probably doesn't have near the resources to do as thorough a job testing as most assume they do/should.

-Jenrick


I agree jenrick,

Many of the DCS community are happy to help out here, that's why it's in beta first, that's why there are bug sections in each of the sub module forums, there is 1000s of things you could test in DCS, you would need an army to fully test out "all possibilities" for bugs, and in the first stage of the merge too.

Take just the A-10C, how long would it take to fully test out this one module in DCS with all it's systems and weapons.

I'm happy to help and report the bugs in beta builds, I don't go out of my way, just fly missions in a module, if I come across something I will report it.

Originally Posted by Paradaz
Exactly, so what sort of progress do you really think will be made when they only start 'testing' mid January on a complex title like DCS? I'm not sure why people still defend ED like this.......it doesn't reflect on the community not understanding the issues, it reflects on ED management being utterly incompetent because it's them that aren't planning, resourcing and setting the correct timeframes for their integration and test activities.

Oh, but it's a beta so we should expect lots of bugs and problems? No, not to this extent......this is software that is already 5 years late and has allegedly being worked on as a priority for a long time now.


It's the merge finally!! With a new free updated map, that is very well done and most people are seeing better performance too, yes it needs some tweaking still, especially for VR, looking forward to them adding the Vulkan API, should boost up the fps quite a bit.

From my travels around the net lately, most people seem happy with the free update, and no it's not on the ED forum, places like YouTube and all the DCS 2.5 videos, this is the only place, generally, to look at anything in a negative light, so you can keep crapping on ED.