Just looked at the ED forum message board. I think this probably explains it. 2.5 is clearly an unoptimised mess. The biggest problem is abnormal RAM and VRAM usage with low GPU utilisation. In multiplayer the RAM usage jumps from 8-10GB single-player up to 16-20GB which is ridiculous. Anyone with 8GB system RAM is going to be crippled in multiplayer until it’s fixed.

But it’s a beta? Yep, a beta that has been thrown out in whatever state it was in at the end of Jan! What happened to the internal team hard at work doing their testing?

I thought there was either something wrong with my settings but everyone has stated the same regarding those lime green trees (over-saturated deferred shading?) and little variation in the the base models, it’s all so garish. I think I’ll wait until ED unleash the ‘release’ version but I can’t see this happening for a while with so many performance issues.

For anyone wanting to persevere with the beta, a temp workaround on the borked lighting/colour palette after removing all the cached shaders etc. is to;

Deactivate Deferred Shading
Activate HDR
Go into Caucasus and fly anywhere (game rebuilds shader config)
Exit map
Deactivate HDR
Activate Deferred Shading

It should look a lot better but overall performance won’t change

Back to XPlane 11 and BOS it is then.


On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.