Taco... I hooked my Mid-phase. It was a horrid flight full of stupid mistakes throughout my flight. First I got a "Spruce Goose" as an airplane. It is well known for its wonderful performance, hence the nick name. As I took off, I somehow managed to push in UHF button on audio panel silencing UHF in my helmet. Anyhow, my screw ups continued and snowballed. As this check was to see if I was prepared for area solo, I sure as hell didn't demonstrate that. Next is "88" ride with another flight's commander to see if it was a bad day or something else.
Also every person in our flight who took check ride today hooked. Bloody Monday. Statistically speaking, 50% of folks fail first check-ride...
This makes my first failure in UPT....
Big lesson learned...
Don't worry about it Sim. It's your first, it probably (statistically) won't be your last. The real tragedy would be to not learn from it. In addition, because it isn't a Form 8 check, after you graduate, no one will know or care.
A piece of advice...anyone can do anything at anytime to bust a check. Murphy's Law always reigns supreme on checkrides. I would say of all the checkrides I've taken, there is always SOMETHING that I've never seen before (different runway, odd clearance, pins still out of the seat by the previous crew, etc) The trick is what pilots call compartmentalization. If something happens during a check, clear it out of your head, and press with the checkride. If you dwell on it, I guarantee it will snowball! Hell, the SEFE may not have even seen it.
Finally, I was right where you are...the ride I busted during all of UPT was my midphase. Felt like crap, but got over it. Trust me, if I can, you can. You learn from it, and press on.
Ironically, my last military checkride I ever plan to have I have tommorrow...
FC