Hit level 23 in Gray Zone yesterday, which signifies little really. Vendors are unlocked with rep, so player level affects nothing that I can see. Maybe in the future it will be more meaningful.
One of the things I pay close attention to is my shooting accuracy. I realize most players won't pay any attention. I hate to miss, but in a firefight it is inevitable, especially as the gomers dart and dash, often just as you pull the trigger, so misses will happen. But I have every weapon category at 70% or better. Getting ARs to 70 was hard because I spent so much of the early game carrying a M4 with a reflex sight, plus it took a while to realize that rounds fired at the range all count as misses, diluting the shooting accuracy stat. Once I could start mounting scopes the accuracy went up as expected.
All this shooting has resulted in 1500 bot kills, and 1300+ have been with assault rifles. That means just under 200 for all others combined -- shotguns, pistols, rifles (snipers/DMRs) and SMGs. I carry these occasionally just to mix it up, but assault rifles are the way to go.
One side effect of playing so much and making good progress is I'm running out of missions. Not literally so, but the ones that remain on the board are among the most difficult and I'd want to team up for these. One mission is called Freedom Fighters, and it's a LLA camp. LLA are the Lamang Liberation Army and they are dangerous, armed with long-barrelled M16s shooting green tip. these were the enemies that caused my two comas in a trench that another rando player saved me from, as I mentioned a couple weeks ago. I went to the camp for Freedom Fighters and it was a winding, narrow trail, hemmed in by cliffs, disappearing in to the jungle. I started up the trail, shot a couple sentries, and then just turned around and left, muttering 'that's some bad juju right there'. If I get a bad gut feeling I trust it and evade and avoid. A number of these sorts of spots remain for me to do, but I'm going to wait until I squad up, or until I see another squad clearing it ahead of me. I've racked up four deaths, but none in a long time now and want to keep it that way.
I've thrown five grenades and gotten three kills. The first one was crazy. It was very early on, maybe I was level 6 or something. There was a checkpoint manned by two NPC gomers and I shot one, took him down, and his partner ducked out of sight. I was still very new, had early game gear and less feel for the AI and how they behave. I didn't want to poke my head out, and he was thinking the same so we had reached an impasse. So I thought, why not toss this grenade I've been carrying around. I worked out where I thought he must be, pulled the pin and tossed it. It was my first throw in Gray Zone and I got it very wrong. The grenade sailed way over, and hit a billboard, bounced off it an exploded.
Still unsure where this guy was I backed away and beat a tactical retreat. We will call it a draw.
Later I looked and the stats said one grenade thrown, one gomer killed. Unbelievable, but it took the perfect bounce off the billboard, I guess, and took that dude out.