I fired Tarkov up again and this time I was able to enter the nickname. I had clicked on it the first time but no cursor appeared. I ran the file integrity and cleared the cache and it worked. Was able to launch the game and play.
It throws you right in, a prologue sort of thing and man I got shot a lot. But somehow I made it on my last ounce of strength and I mean I was shot to hell. Not sure how I survived and probably because it is a prologue and maybe I can't be killed there. It was brutal, but much of that is down to not feeling comfortable yet. If you play enough to be smooth and lethal I can see this could be a good time. Movement, gunplay, and especially the medical side will take some adjustment. I bet people play thousands of hours just to get good at it haha. I'll give it more time for sure. It ran nicely in the twenty minutes it took to escape the first mission. I need a medic
Looting requires searching, which takes more time than usual, or in games like IRR. That's another way to make the player more vulnerable. Tarkov is similar to IRR in a number of ways, inventory, keymapping, loading magazines, etc. But it feels different to play. I'll need 50 hours to feel comfortable, and get everything set up the way I want, and to get a feel for the AI, the best gear, and so on. Acquiring good gear is going to be important. The prologue starts you with a 9mm pistol, and within a couple minutes I had a couple rifles, but not much ammo. ADS is defaulted to toggle and I must have been playing lately with hold, so it all felt awkward as I fumbled my way through the firefights. How do I heal? Do I have more mags? Did that guy drop or not? Gotta dial a game like this in to have any chance of success I think. I hope the main game is a bit less busy, to allow me to ease in, but I don't think it is. Plus I don't see yet how to launch PvE Zone.
We've been listing some of the things we like about Red River, and having played a few shooters recently one thing that stands out is how perfect IRR's lean is. 90+% of the shots I take in Red River are leaning out from behind cover or around corners and it feels like a big advantage. In these other games it isn't nearly so good, and less of an advantage.