Originally Posted By: Pielstick
Was it an F-15E? I always thought it was going to be an F/A-18C? It's been that long now i can't remember.


They did an F/A-18A for Falcon 3 after the MiG-29 came out, but for F4 it was going to be the F-15E. I remember a bit of controversy over it since Jane's F-15 was contemporary and some people were claiming that was enough and they'd rather have plane X than the F-15E. Many people said A-10A for X, BTW, but then Jane's A-10 was announced and they quieted down--of course in the end that and the F-15E were both cancelled.
I think there was some idle speculation about a Hornet after the F-15E, along with an A-10A, but it was never as solidly planned as the F-15E was. I've no idea how much work was done before the kill order came, but it was close enough that likely not too much.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter