ERAU was similar- plus we got to ride on other students flights- one benefit of trainingain a seater (C172, they had just gotten Piper cadets when I was there. Those could be hugely helpful to a student like me.
I saw an awful lot of guys that were much more experienced than I make stupid mistakes. One guy forgot to shut the door on a twin (Cessna T303) during a prog check. IP got him to fix it at the hold point!
Desktop sims can be good for procedures, but not for airwork. There's too many variables and there's no 'feel' at all. you might be able to fly the numbers with roughly the correct power settings, but that's not nearly the entire story. Your hands tend to be in entirely the wrong place. HAving flown an FAA certified 767 sim once, it's far more immersive even without motion turned on.
Sim I love you posts! Thanks.