I know I and many others are happy to pay 40 bucks for the DCS: Spitfire LF Mk. IX and the Normandy map is not even out yet! The flight model alone would be worth the 40 entry for me anyway.
And so would I, but I actually want them to 1) finish a module and 2) provide a good environment to fly in. As it is, the "modern" map is struggling and the "WWII" map doesn't have enough assets to be flying against. I could take ED's silly forum moderation if they actually released good products with good theatre support.
Originally Posted By: David_OC
I do admire how you guys think how easy it would be managing a company like ED (1991). What they do is the tip of the spear in combat flight simulation. I know lots need polishing with this new engine, but I still stick with they made the right choice for their future taking the plunge to DX11. Yes it has set them back but its also setup their future moving forward.
"Tip of the spear" and "cutting edge technology" are terms not really synonymous with ED's work; you claiming it is so without even backing it up just makes the whole situation silly. They make enough blunders just "moving forward," I doubt they needed a big obstacle such as integration of DX11 and I wonder how they imagined they could surmount it.
Originally Posted By: David_OC
I will always have a soft spot for F4, but for me it's starting to show it's age graphically, steal beasts next move will be to step up to DX11 this is a huge move for a small developer. F4 will keep churning along no doubt and I do hope they have VR support? Do you need DX11 for this? How does FlyInside do it for FSX? Maybe something like FlyInside would be the way to go for BMS.
Ah, see, there's the crux of the matter right there. BMS has shown that "modern graphics" is not a requirement for an immersive COMBAT flight simulation; I'm sure Steel Beasts have done the same. Modern graphics will be nice, sure. So many times as I taxi out to the active, I wished I had DCS-level ground textures and grass. VR will be nice too, but I'll need some way to do cockpit work efficiently with the headset on. But these things are icing on the cake.
Originally Posted By: David_OC
I'm excited to see how things go over the next year or two. DCS will be fine, you guys are so pessimistic, I cannot wait for the F14, F18.
Might need to wait a little more than 2 years.
Originally Posted By: *Striker*
I think your main purpose in life Ice is to just be a fault finder. Instead of trying to read and understand what I had wrote you just want to pick a fight and find fault with every little word. I have stated several times that I was just repeating what ED had said in their posts, and I have provided links where possible. I also stated I wasn't trying to defend them, just passing on information. But you have to break down every little sentence and find whatever little inconsistency you can. I'm done trying to discuss anything with you because you have such a terrible negative attitude towards anything anyone says.
*sigh.... another one. I'm not moaning and whining about the positive posts people keep putting up. I agree and support with those that are indeed true, but I challenge and contest those that do not appear to be logical. Instead of complaining, maybe you should try defending your point. Repeating what ED has said won't get you anywhere especially when what you put forward holds no water every time it's put to the test; if it did, you'd be pointing out those counter-arguments instead of what you've written above, I would bet.
If you want to discuss something, then there are two or more sides to the issue. If all you wanted was an all-around high five and pats on the the back, maybe you'll be more suited to a different, "more reputable" forum. Over here, statements and ideas tend to get challenged.
Originally Posted By: David_OC
Well MicroProse did bite off more then they could chew with the Dynamic campaign and thats why ED would hold off on doing it + it may not be profitable to do? you would need to check the market. I have part of an article in the making, and some of it is about how ED is walking in perhaps some of MicroProse perhaps once planed footsteps? Or should I say Gilman Louie's footsteps and Gilman who also has done lot for the CIA too.
ED has already bitten off more than it could chew RIGHT NOW, they'd have an aneurysm if they tried to do a DC. Making sure missions and campaigns don't get borked post-patch seems to keep them busy enough!
Also, it's unfair and incorrect to say that it was the DC that killed MicroProse as there were definitely other factors involved. As for ED, well, there is a clear demand for a DC as their very own poll suggested, therefore there is a market for it. Are they tapping into that market? Obviously NOT! That is how *difficult* it is to manage a "tip of the spear" company dealing with "cutting edge technology".... make a poll asking your customer base what they want and then NOT do it.
Originally Posted By: David_OC
it needed to be open sauce and the community to finish it for free. Why else work on F4 if not for just dedicated passion?
Firstly, LOL @ "open sauce"... hehehehe.... As for your next question, well, why not? The DC is there, assets are there.... so yes, passion but also the platform itself was worth modding to begin with.
Originally Posted By: David_OC
DCS was Stand-alone and now is an "Electronic Battlefield" with DCSW
I'm not sure exactly how you are using the "stand alone" term here.
Originally Posted By: David_OC
If you want to get as close as you can to experiencing what it would be like to fly a ww2 bird, jet or helicopter it's DCS.
Or FSX/P3D/XP10/XP11. Or RoF (WWI?). Or IL2.
Originally Posted By: David_OC
If you want to feel and experience a very large war around you then F4 BMS.
I may be wrong now, but so does Jane's F/A-18 and EECH in my experience years ago. But yeah, +1 to BMS/AF.
Originally Posted By: David_OC
Soon two weeks, if you want to feel and experience accurately how it would be to land an F14 or F18 on a carrier in VR then DCS. Perhaps this is something the military could use too?
Two years, at the very least. Not two weeks. Also, what makes you think the military is interested in this? The F-14 is retired and I'm pretty sure they'll have their own simulators for the F-18 at this stage.