I don't quite see how this absolves 3rd party campaign makers from the responsibility of supporting their product. I also don't see what extra tools they'd require, other than the testing build they receive nightly. Nate
If ED didn't get involved with these campaigns the yes, the author would have the responsibility of updating. So, unless there is some sort of contract (and likely payment) in place whereby the author maintains the responsibility of updates which I think is unlikely then ED will be responsible.......the customers purchase these campaigns from ED's e-store. That alone gives them some responsibility.......responsibility which in all honesty I don't think they really need.
I suppose we both are entering into the realms of the unknown and assumptions again. I think my view of the 3rd party relationship differs from yours. I would have thought that 3rd party campaigns would remain the responsibility of the 3rd party to maintain, much the same as the other modules. Also revenue division for the campaigns would be modelled along the same lines as the other modules.
I think your view runs along the lines that these are contracted works, bought by ED?
However for example, if you look at the activity of Baltic Dragon in the forum for "The Enemy Within" campaign you'll see he is very active in listening to feedback and further improving the campaign. I would contend that he has an ongoing interest/responsibility in maintaining and improving the campaign. Of course, this is just an assumption.