Let's all recall that when IL-2 was coded, things like 6DOF weren't around - therefore, using a 2D cockpit panel made sense for optimization.

Having a fully 3D cockpit that would never be looked at would be wasteful.

We also know that the IL-2 engine allows for such things - 6DOF is possible, but rejected as the 1C:Maddox team didn't want to re-do all of the cockpits.

Likewise, opening cockpits, adjustable seats, etc. weren't part of the IL-2 code, and only made an appearance in PF, and only with new aircraft.

It's not that 3D cockpits aren't possible, just that they weren't done at the time.

Would I like to see 6DOF and adjustable seat heights? Yepper, I sure would!

Of course, we'll all have to get ready for the "TIR is cheating because it gives people with the hardware an unfair edge."

But we've already gotten used to it, so I guess it's no big deal.

I came to IL-2 because RB3D had outlived it's limitations; WWI is still my favorite era of aviation, and I'll be one of the first ot embrace a nice Sopwith Pup or DH-2...

Here's a question: are they going to implement high altitude effects on the pilot? WWI scout pilots went on up to 10,000 feet largely without hesistation - will we get some blackouts for going to high, or maybe some blurring of the screen to simulate the effects of not enough oxygen?


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."