Quote:
Originally posted by Cas141:
Excellent - Two WW1 sims soon.
At the moment, though, I can't get enough of the available-now one - OFF.
As an exercise, guys, why don't you try it and see how you think it might compare with what you are anticipating in Knights o.t Sky. ?

You'll be pleasantly surprised!
I have tried it, I even bought CFS3 to try it. In the end after Il2 an Lock On it wasn't quite enough to satisfy me.

My main issues were with the FM and DM, both of which were weak. There wasn't any bite in the FM's the aircraft just slumped forward after a stall and I continued flying. Whatever I did, no matter how sloppy my flying I couldn't get into trouble, takeoffs and landings were eye's closed simple. After the 4xx fm's in Il2 and Lock On's afm I found the actual flying lacked challenge, WW1 should be challenging to fly.

My other major beef was with the dm's. The AI aircraft seemed to have huge hit bubbles, I'd use my whole ammo loadout and cause no observable damage or performance decrease in the AI aircraft. I just felt like I was wearing down a huge hitbox all the time, just no detail in the DM. Before anyone brings it up I was hitting the enemy aircraft because CFS3 tells you when you hit. On the other hand a couple of hits on my aircraft from the AI always left me with critical damage but no visible damage to the 3D model which I found a bit dull after IL2.

I do like the OFF terrain with tweaking it looks gritty and realistic, the included 3D cockpits and models are quite decent. The music and menu's are also very nice to look at, the gui's could be a bit more user friendly though.

I don't intend to start another IL2 v CFS3 war \:\( You asked for views on OFF and there's mine, I really wanted to like it, but although diverting it wasn't good enough to keep my attention long term. In he end there's too much CFS3 heritage holding it in the past. If you have CFS3 hanging around its worth a try though (even if you don't you can pick up CFS3 cheap, may copy cost me �4 from Amazon marketplace), OFF is a very good mod.


WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570