Ghost, I did not say "support the flight sim dev no matter what." I am saying support them if they make a good product. If I am too busy immersed in the flight sim, I don't care if they have public meltdowns because they can't take criticisms from rivet-counters or if they react to stupid threats over a simple set of code designed to simulate combat flight in a WWII setting.
Like I said, there's blame to be had on both sides and we rarely see a good portion of the entire story so such "meltdowns" are just the tip of the iceberg. I'd rather vote with my wallet and let the product guide my purchases.
I do echo what mike1997 said..... I like this community (SimHQ) for the maturity of the members, and while I see this on the other sub-forums, the DCS and IL2BoS sub-communities do leave a bit to be desired. Sure, we'd like a good game, tweaked to our specific way of playing, but just because the devs chose to go a different path doesn't mean they deserve all the vitriol I've seen flung about.
I find Don/DBurnette's post a bit ironic though. He talks about deal breakers, yet lists Cliffs of Dover as one of the games he is having a blast with. What that tells me is that even broken things can be fixed in time. If all we're complaining about is XP/grinding, graphic and difficulty presets, and SP progression, then I have high hopes for BoS. Are the aircraft FMs wrong? Do the guns seem overpowered or are not exhibiting the behavior or correct ammo count? Is take-offs/landings too easy/difficult? These are the things I look for in a sim. Sure, it'll be nice if I can tweak the graphics settings a bit, but really, will you get up and walk away simply because you are "pre-set" to 4x MSAA and you want 8x MSAA? Or because the sun is too yellow? If these things bother you more than the enemy fighters bearing down on you, maybe you're in the wrong sim. I would say, however, that they seriously dropped the ball on no tri-screen support.
[ps -- when I say "you," I'm not referring to Don/DBurnette in particular but rather to the people who voice such complaints]
I know, my first sentence where more of a general question since i sometimes get that feeling on the forums. Support it just because its a flight sim.
Personally i feel its extremely unfair of the devs to drag in claims of death threats and such. Why do they drag in me and the forums i know into that kind of dirty business. People making threats, of any kind, are sick individuals and and should be dealt with and/or ignored. Dont throw that kind of sick behavior in my face as an excuse for dropping the ball on a staggering amount of occasions and then blowing a gasket when i dislike it.