Albert Earl Godfrey

24 Dec 1916 Training at Farnborough on N17


Today at class, the instructor singled out Myself, Red and Will as the three best in class in formation flying so He asked the three of us to take up three N17’s and form a vic circling the field three times staying in formation. He stated he would remain on the field with the rest of the class to dialogue with them on what he observed.

We broke for lunch before starting the formation demonstration.
This was the best news I had had for a few days. In my estimation, if I didn’t screw this up, all three of us just might be the select few to have a chance to fly the Pup. I could only hope. I spoke with Will and Red on the way to the mess, explaining my views and they both agreed that we would keep our senses alert for this flight. We dialogued and planned our takeoff, where and how we would form up, the cruising speed we would maintain during the circuit and our positions in the flight. I being a little more skilled than Red and Will, we decided should be flight leader to keep the circuit rather large to lessen the throttle compensation required to maintain formation. This would make it easier for Red and Will, off my wings, to maintain correct distance. Red was to take up the inside of the circle where control was more difficult and Will on the outside. We went over the plan several times during lunch. As we arrived back at the classroom, the instructor told us to suit up and head over to the hangars to get our mounts, while he assembled the rest of the trainees on the field to observe.

Our engines running, Will gave the circle signal and began his takeoff, I was next and then Red. I flew onlead and Red was on my right, with will on the left, as we formed up at the end of the field. We did the required three circuits maintaining good formation. I kept the circuit rather large as planned and Will had no difficult maintaining position. Red had the more difficult part having to throttle down without stall or height loss. The wide circle made it easier for him. It wasn’t perfect by any means but in my opinion quite adequate given our flying hours.

Upon landing the trainees and instructor approached us. I heard the instructor stating to the trainees. “That is what I mean by formation flying. Well done lads, although there is room for improvement. There always is in this game, so don’t get swelled heads. Nevertheless, a very solid performance. Well Done!”

Up until he spoke I was feeling beads of perspiration forming on my forehead from the stress of waiting for the instructors response. I now felt considerable relief and my temperament fell back to normal.

The instructor called us all into the classroom and stated that tomorrow morning our ratings would be listed on the board. Those who passed would be receiving their wings. The top three in the class would be given a twenty minutes of flying in a circuit around the field in the new Pup.

The class was dismissed and I headed back to my quarters to assemble all my gear. Either way, I would be going back to France on the 25th, with or without my wings. I knew I surely would not get much sleep and thought of what my mates back in France would say if they knew I would be flying a new scout before it even made it’s debut in France.



Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 04/23/17 11:51 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4