If my count is correct that's three pilots out of service in the hospital! This is getting dangerous. Be careful gents!

Edgar Everheart
Auchel

Little, Sears and myself were roused out of bed at 4:30 and told to get to our machines. It seems some incoming Hun machines had been reported and we were to try and intercept them NW of Lens. Off we go and climb into the cold and cloud. Intercept my arse! We were more likely to collide with them in this soup. We patrolled for 30 min near Lens and I decided to head north and see if we could see something around Lille. The weather was a little better over Lille and we made a broad circle and decided to call it quits. Heading west I thought I saw something in the cloud ahead. All of a sudden there were 2 DFW's coming straight to us about 500' below. I dove and raked one from stem to stern, split S and came up underneath him for another go. I misjudged my speed and went above him. The observer opened up and I kicked hard rudder and threw the stick over to roll over behind him. On my second burst the observer slumped over the side. He was a sitting duck. Another two squirts and the plane started smoking and went into a slow downward spin. I followed him down until I was sure he was not playing opossum and pulled up thinking "here we are with a victory and no one around". When I looked around I was surprised to see Sears behind me. "Well surely he saw that one!"

Climbing up and west I noticed something did not look right with Sears machine. I slowed down to let him catch up. His middle starboard plane was broke off at the strut and from the strut to the fuselage was tattered canvas. Fortunately we did not encounter any hostile machines on the way back and Sears made a perfect landing with his damaged aircraft. Little had crash landed at another airfield but was OK. I filed my claim and went to get something to eat before the afternoon patrol.

Note: That was a WOFF moment Gents. I found myself worried for Sear's safety and was very anxious until we crossed the lines and then again at Auchel until I could see he landed safely. I love this Sim!


Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!