While I see what you guys mean about the center detent on the stick, I really love the way there is not much resistance if you push along the X and Y axis. On the Cougar, it takes a bit of force to hold the stick on the X or Y axis -- if you wanted somewhere between X and Y, even more force is needed and exactly how much was hard to gauge and I used to end up over-maneuvering the aircraft. With the Warthog stick setup, the amount of force needed to move the stick in any direction past the detent is constant so I can get more control now.
I had my first touchy feely experience with the Warthog today. Its impressive and pretty much plug and play for the DCS sim.
I also immediately picked up the 'detent' in the center of the stick. I have a Cougar which was also awful out the box, but I installed the U2NXT mod with hal sensors from IJ and CubPilot. It transformed the cougar to absolute awesomeness.
I have a shopping cart with new rudder pedals, mfd's and the Thrustmaster Warthog just waiting for me to checkout. I need to do some more reading here, and ashamedly I have not read this entire thread but will, however are there any mods in the making to remove the center detent point?
I will still buy it for sure, but if there is a post with mods I would appreciate a link. Gonna email IJ if he is still around, the U2NXT's for the Cougar are superb so maybe he will look at the Warthog.
Maybe I'm jumping the gun and am just used to the NXT mod which I like so much. Time will tell.