Feb. 11, 1918 My DII was confirmed last night. 1st victory. Today I lead 3 planes on a patrol of our lines near Menen. I spotted 2 observation types trying to sneak over the lines at our altitude and changed course to intercept. My guns jammed on the 1st burst. What luck. As I tried to clear my guns all I could do was watch Davies and Dallas have all the fun. I tried and tried but could not clear the jam, cussing at my luck of having to watch the other 2 take both machines down, I was soon shaken out of my doldrums with tracers flying by me. 3 Halbs had joined in and it looked like I was the prize! I went totally defensive and finally cleared my gun. I was soon on the tail of one but he would not go down. He was making for Houburdin and as I pulled up to let him go Dallas zoomed in and finished him off with 1 burst. Turning for home I found myself nose to nose with another Halb. We went round and round and boy howdy could he fly! After about 5 minuets I finally got in a telling burst and he went nose down and crashed by the field. I made my way home and filed my claim. 1 Halb over Houburdin. Tan color with black "H" on side of fuselage. No witness. later that night intel confirmed that Gotthard Sachsenberg whose plane has the same markings was shot down over Houburdin. I was awarded my second victory. Dallas and Davies both claimed one which I confirmed. It had been a good day.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end. BOC Member since....I can't remember!