I recently began experiencing some hardware issues -- failing hard drive I believe -- and ordered new components to give my box a makeover. One of the things I ordered was a new UPC, and whilst on Amazon I had to add to my library. Picked up several naval-related books, including Japanese Destroyer Captain by Tameichi Hara, one of Japan's very best skippers during the war. Among his commands was Shigure, which some of you may know as Japan's 'unsinkable' destroyer since it survived so many battles, sometimes as the only survivor, like the Battle of Surigao Strait. I am always looking for material from the 'other' side.
Also picked up Eight Survived about the disaster that befell US boat Flier. Strike of the Sailfish about Squalus/Sailfish, another US boat, which is famous for having sunk off Connecticut in 1939 and salvaged, and renamed Sailfish, which went on to sink carrier Chuyo, the first Japanese carrier to go down to submarine attack, though many had been reported. Picked up a few more books too which I have not got around to yet. I'd imagine that many of you have libraries like mine, but if you want any reading recommendations (especially about WW2 naval) don't hesitate to ask.
For players of UBOAT there would be many suggestions, but if you were to only buy one book (actually two), I would recommend Clay Blair's exceptional work, Hitler's U-Boat War. It comes in two volumes, The Hunters and The Hunted. There are many good books about the German submarine war of course, but, like his Pacific book Silent Victory, it is the most comprehensive account I have seen.
I took U-998 out to the Pit yesterday and had a fantastic patrol. Shot singles at fourteen ships and they all went down eventually, though several had to be polished off with the gun. Four T2s among them, for 104k with no cow. That's my best result without rearming and refueling. One attack was an unescorted convoy of nine ships (why couldn't it be ten?!), which are rare but I've found a few. Still alive, May 1943