Do you have assistants assigned to the chief engineer? That should extend the range. Type IIs operated west of the British Isles during the war, but I doubt they were A's. That variant has abysmal range, and yeah, as long as you sail the IIA I think you have to ignore those missions, Any of the other Type IIs would be OK, with the B and C having double the range, and the D triple. If you need a blueprint to upgrade to another Type II I'd skip it and go to a VII. I just picked up a blueprint by completing the second level of Tonnage War.
Forget what I was saying earlier about having 500m crew visibility at night. Like a dumbass I failed to use red lighting. I assumed it would only affect crew coming on watch for a short time. A minor thing in the grand scheme at high time compression, you know? But today I was thinking about it and thought, well, maybe that's not how it works in the game. Sure enough, I turned it on for my first night attack and suddenly the crew could see two kilometers. I could have shot those two warships over the sunken sub with ease lol. But even so I'm now doing at least half of my attacks manually, and gradually increasing the ratio as I get accustomed to it. My goal is to get that achievement for completing a campaign with 90% difficulty and that will be manual only.
Just got back from war patrol 3. Another in the northern part of the North Sea, hunting the highway between Bergen and Edinburgh/Hartlepool. Followed U-52's beacon signals and we teamed up to sink a number of ships in a convoy. They picked us up on Asdic a few times but we managed to slip away. I'll be happy when I am out of this lake. Shot all but one torpedo in a week. Feels like I might eventually tweak the shipping density, but I want to play this first career stock and get a feel for how things evolve over the course of the war. Otto Popp was awarded a Ritterkreuz after this patrol.
Now I'm going to try Scapa Flow again. With red lighting it should be a little easier than the first time derp.
U-48 before departing on a covert mission to penetrate the naval base at Scapa Flow on a snowy December evening. The flag on the back of the flak platform can be removed in first person at that spot, as I finally learned. There are eight captives, four captains and four chief engineers. Each one you turn in gives 15% rep, so a full load is a free full point per patrol, if you can sink enough ships, that sink slowly enough to cast off lifeboats. Careers begin with five officers -- two leaders (including the skipper), one radioman and two engineers. You get two more, and how you do it can be an interesting choice. You can add any combination of those three types. In this career I added an engineer and a radioman. Three engineers for when the sh!t hits the fan.
I said I don't want to be surfaced 500m off the track, but this is fog, come on haha. This was a manual shot, and guessed right on the speed as the torpedo hits MoT. Second torpedo was a dud.
A shot of the bow torpedo room as the machinist mate cranks the torpedo out of tube number one for routine maintenance.