IIRC, the funds from the early Founders were not being used for development of the initial BOS release, pretty sure Jason had stated at some point those funds were already there, and the funds from EA folks was for future development...
Now, having said that, this note in today's DD caught my attention:
<<< Meanwhile, we keep rolling with big news about IL-2 Sturmovik�s future. Starting with the fact that the series is actually going to have a future. Last December, for instance, nobody including us was certain about what would happen next. But good fortune has blessed our hard work and we now know what we will do next. >>>
Which would lead me to believe, maybe things did not go quite as well as they had hoped with the initial release? Strictly conjecture on my part.
I myself am a big critic of BOS, mainly some of the direction decisions they have made. I think the SP system got culled down to what it is today, due to lack of time. They had already pushed back release by a few months, and they were not going to do that again. The SP campaign is just too lifeless, and repetitive. Now, I have not played that much of the campaign yet, as the unlock system stopped me dead in my tracks, so I am now going to give it another go, but have a feeling I will probably bore rather quickly. I am much more into a campaign with a story line, historical, following the career of my pilot and wingmen. That is what I long for and yearn for as a SP.
For MP, I am really glad the unlocks are gone for them, should they choose. I see it already bringing back some MP guys that had left after release. That is good.
But, both SP and MP, desperately need some loving, in the terms of a true FMB. Something that can actually be used by those who desire to do so, without being so complex that it drives most of the good talent off.
Especially now, with making clear they are not going to make any changes in the near term to the Campaign, it will be up to the community to provide the type of SP campaigns I would want to fly. Much like is currently being done for Cliffs, and still being done for 1946.
I am glad to see the announcement of another product with BOM. I hope the series is successful, and hope they can make some changes to make me once again a big fan of it. For now, I will certainly hold off spending any more dollars on this sim based on my hopes, I will wait to see it actually delivered first.