At this point this just feels like microwaved left overs. It amazes me sometimes how much ED can talk about how much awesome *brand new* stuff they have in the pipes, and yet all of their significant releases since the Mustang* have been rehashes of something:
-DCS World: Same DCS we've come to love, but glued together (with mixed results initially). A good move for the series, but nothing earth shattering content wise. I know a lot of changes happend "under the hood" that are paving the way for greater things, but to end users it felt like a minor move forward at best, a half step backward (bug wise) at worst.
-The F-15C, A-10A, and SU-25. Again, microwaved left overs. Sure, they sprinkled AFM hot sauce on it for some kick, but we've had this dish before.
-Allowing third party developers to make content. ED managed to do something I thought was impossible: Do something "new"...that means we have to wait even more for other stuff.
And no, the releases from Belsimtek don't count. They're third party, so I'm not giving ED the "new content" credit. Although both are really great products (bought both on launch day).
Again, all really nice things to have happening to DCS, but nothing that felt super transformative. And yeah yeah, I know, "be patient", "they're working on it," "blah blah edge blah F/A-18C blah third party content balh."
*They only get about %50 credit for the Mustang being 'new', as it's ridiculously irrelevant to the current DCS environment at the moment. I would know, I bought it on launch day!
EDIT: Ok, I forgot about combined arms (which I own, but have never actually used) but that doesn't let me fly things and push buttons, so it doesn't count either. Plus, it's just more left overs: they took the map, ground vehicles, and radio menus and made a kinda-sorta RTS type ground combat commander...thing. It doesn't taste bad, but it's not fresh either...
Name any sim that has ever broken the mold with something new- I mean... never made- exquisitely new... never seen before.
Actually for that matter- go ahead and shout out any game ever made that wasn't just a rehash of some other idea.
You want to go into EDGE with low quality texture aircraft and just leave it all the way it was... well, be my guest but I think you're beating the whole "if it ain't new it's poo" a little hard.