Quote:

That is exactly my reaction - 320x240 was much more typical in the mid 90s and many sims didn't support higher. In 1998 800x600 was considered state of the art (for consumers). I know of one sim that went much higher - but it was developed by a company that had specialised in 3dFX testbeds and the higher no one ran the higher resolutions. For the most part almost no one had monitors capable of 1080p until the mid 2000s (the old CRTs tended to suffer refresh rate drops above 1280).



Yup.. got my eras mixed up ... like I said earlier:

Quote:
Yeah, yeah... Strike "early" ... 320x240 back then for me like for everyone else. (..)



Mea maxima culpa ... goodnight



But since I happen to have a lot of old game-boxes sitting on my shelf here ... Theme Park at least *supported* SVGA in 1994, as did Dawn Patrol in the same year and MechWarrior 2 in 1995.

Still: It doesn't alter the fact that CoD-users are experimenting with resolutions right now that are very much a thing of the past .. be it ancient history or a more recent past. Especially since modern, high-end cards shouldn't really have that much trouble displaying higher resolutions. After all: They were designed to power modern monitors with native resolutions of around 1920x1080.


I can't prove it, but I think Gibbage may have a point with his analysis that in some parts, CoD has probably has some very old code lurking around.





S.

Last edited by sascha; 04/09/11 10:49 AM.

System: Asus P5Q-E - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300@ 2.5 GHz (currently @3.0 GHz) - Gigabyte GF GTX460 1GB OC - 2x2 GB OCZ DDR2-RAM - Samsung P2370 23'' - MS Sidewinder 2 FF (red trigger, baby!) - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals - TrackIR 5 + Pro-Clip - Windows Vista 64 Home Premium