Just got back and gave the ol Russian version a try.
A bit more playable, with these caveats:
- Downed the resolution to 1680x1050 and no AA, and on a 1920 LCD it fuzzes over like bad AA anyway

- Still using the RAMDisk, mainly because I had it set up already and steam updated. Have no I/O bottleneck now.
- For patches/optimization (deep breath)
It is worth clearing your DX shader cache files every update. COD's are in:
C:\Users\THENAMEYOURMOTHERCALLSYOU\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\cache
Blat it all before running, as the M.O for this team is they may have forgot to clear it out in code...
- DynamicalLights=0 is still important on mid-range. Roads off helps too, everything else is just resolution and those damn trees.
- Final advice (and you're going to hate it) is turn off the FPS counter and just fly for a bit. If you obsess on a number the game will feel slow whatever (and yes, I don't think the sim is good enough for release just yet, just saying that FPS counter physiology comes in to play sometimes)
Played the 9 stukas vs 6 spits / 6 hurr and had a good time. Although why my wingmen want to level bomb ships, I've no idea...
I'll do a proper profile tonight to see what's up.