SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,214
Likes: 3
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,214
Likes: 3
No, I wouldn't move. I'm good with where I'm at. My town has 2 stoplights. It might get a third in a few years. I live 20 minutes from this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of my co-worker's kid is in this BBC article:
North Carolina's thermal inversion and rare sea of clouds

The few things to complain about are a lot of people are wanting to move here now and driving up the price of housing. The bicyclists on the road. Try passing a pack of 20 to 30 of them on curvy roads! You aren't.

Anyway, to minimize any encounters with others on my hikes in the woods I usually start my walks around 6:45AM. The tourists and non-early birds usually don't start getting into the woods until around 9ish. I found out that you find better solitude in the time, not the place of your choosing.


The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Those are amazing photos Chef! Thanks for sharing.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,039
Likes: 3
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,039
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by rwatson
I agree with that PM !!Big cites suck.Too fast moving and too many angry people.I love New concord.I walk my pup and everyone who passes always gives up a greeting.I don't own a car anymore but everything is within walking distance.We have one family owned grocery store and two pizza places.And a hardware store.Amazon is a good source for stuff that isn't available here I take my pup out around 4:30 AM and naturally don't see anybody.We go around the block a few times a day and sometimes I can go a whole week and not see anyone.I don't need crowded streets and big box stores.

One of the nice things about Glasgow is that it is big enough to have pretty much everything that you could want without being a mega-city such as London, NYC etc. It still feels like a pretty small city - it's really an accretion of previous villages & towns which probably helps. Obviously, the internet & internet shopping has rendered some of the benefits of large cities moot but as PanzeyerMeyer mentions they do have cultural benefits.
You can also be out of Glasgow into the countryside or seaside in 20-40 minutes.

Even locally I struggle to identify somewhere "better" to move to than where I have lived for ~30 years without a significant financial input and/or a larger property than I need/want or something else that I consider being worse than currently situated.
If finances allowed though, I would like to summer in Scotland but winter somewhere further south, perhaps a different country every winter ... The west of Scotland in winter has short daylight hours & can be somewhat grey & wet (not really cold though by many Canadian/US & European standards). frown

Winter & healthcare concerns I guess are indicative of SimHQ's demographic profile these days. neaner


"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
BUFF #4598750 05/04/22 05:06 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by BUFF


Winter & healthcare concerns I guess are indicative of SimHQ's demographic profile these days. neaner



Yup. SimHQ does seem to be largely populated by codgers these days. As Seinfeld would say though; "not that there's anything WRONG with that". biggrin


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
L
Hotshot
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
Yeah we are definatly the Shady Acres Retirement Home for Simmers. That's why I like it. How long before we have a shuffle board and Canasta thread forums? When will PM's list your top 10 medications thread starts?

Last edited by LB4LB; 05/04/22 05:18 PM.
LB4LB #4598757 05/04/22 05:37 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by LB4LB
When will PM's list your top 10 medications thread starts?


Well I'm only 49 so hopefully it will be a good while before I post that!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,949
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,949
Likes: 141
When I feel the need for additional culture, I go visit oldgrognard. winkngrin


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
LB4LB #4598775 05/04/22 07:46 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by LB4LB
When will PM's list your top 10 medications thread starts?


I had a chuckle at that, and then looked at my current list of medications old_simmer

Last edited by Chucky; 05/04/22 07:46 PM.

If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by rwatson
I agree with that PM !!Big cites suck.Too fast moving and too many angry people.I love New concord.I walk my pup and everyone who passes always gives up a greeting.I don't own a car anymore but everything is within walking distance.We have one family owned grocery store and two pizza places.And a hardware store.Amazon is a good source for stuff that isn't available here I take my pup out around 4:30 AM and naturally don't see anybody.We go around the block a few times a day and sometimes I can go a whole week and not see anyone.I don't need crowded streets and big box stores.


Sounds a lot like Jackman. We have a small grocery store, a hardware store, 2 general-type stores, a gas station/convenience store, a NAPA, a few restaurants, and a few bars. 800 or so people, probably 75% of local jobs are forestry or lumber-related. I’m making good money at what I’d have to say is the best employer in town, working on trucks, trailers, and logging equipment. We’re right in the middle of the mountains of western Maine, the next closest town has 30 people, and the closest traffic light is about 70 miles away. It’s not uncommon to drive 30 miles at night without seeing another car.

Looking north toward Jackman (to right of the pond) from 3717’ Coburn Mountain last July.
[Linked Image]

Looking west toward Canada from the summit of 3639’ Boundary Bald Mountain last May. [Linked Image]

While bushwhacking up Boundary Bald Mtn on snowshoes, Jan 2019. Looking west. [Linked Image]




Last edited by NH2112; 05/04/22 10:37 PM.

Phil

"The abbot says we should be grateful to you for a number of things. He said it was thanks to you that we rediscovered the whole moral universe that we had been in danger of forgetting—courage, sacrifice, faith . . .” — From a forgotten Man-Kzin Wars book
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
Yeah, at my advancing age, medical care is certainly a concern, and something that my friends that have that remote place are a little worried about. That's one reason I like the idea of being near a larger city. Also, I think growing up in a small city got that out of my system, and I like the idea of a larger city.

Here, I have been able to meet astronauts, go out for rides on a nuclear sub and an aircraft carrier, see The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and even Gwen Stefani in concert, stuff that would probably never have happened where I grew up.

Since we're posting photos now, here are a few to illustrate my point:

This is the bustling metropolis of the city where I grew up:
[Linked Image]

And this is the downtown area from the city where I live now:
[Linked Image]

But just a few minutes drive from my house, I have places like this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And with just a few hours drive, I can see stuff like this:
[Linked Image]

So I think I get a pretty good combination of urban and natural environments.


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
A friend move to Hawaii last year. She now regrets it, Wants to return to the States.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271



"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
A friend move to Hawaii last year. She now regrets it, Wants to return to the States.



Did she say why? I know the cost of living there is quite high.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,949
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,949
Likes: 141
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
A friend move to Hawaii last year. She now regrets it, Wants to return to the States.


She's already in the States.

neaner


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by CyBerkut
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
A friend move to Hawaii last year. She now regrets it, Wants to return to the States.


She's already in the States.

neaner



I guess he meant "continental US". wink


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
In a "money is no object" scenario I'd "move" alright - as in I'd have no house and be travelling all over the place doing things until I got too old for that lifestyle. After that I'd settle somewhere but I'd have no idea where - nearly anywhere can be a fine place to live if you've got plenty of money (and the ability to just get up and leave if you don't like it).

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
A friend move to Hawaii last year. She now regrets it, Wants to return to the States.



Did she say why? I know the cost of living there is quite high.


Cost too much and there is dirty beggars and derelicts every where.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,091
Likes: 168
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Online: Content
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,091
Likes: 168
Originally Posted by CyBerkut
When I feel the need for additional culture, I go visit oldgrognard. winkngrin




Huummmpf. I’m just a dumb grunt.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
I would move to Texas. But it's not going to happen, my wife hates spiders and snakes. Also I'd likely have to give up my Canadian health care. It's far from perfect, long waits are the norm. But it is free.
My sister is a snowbird, lives in Canada, but goes to Florida for the winter. But I am not in the position to own 2 homes. (she and her husband to own 3 properties).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,026 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1