SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Arthonon
If you have a good internet connection, it's easier to have a more white-collar job in remote places these days. Some friends of mine bought a place in a small town, more than an hour's drive from the nearest airport, and have been working remotely for over a year with no problem. They bought a plot of land, had a place built, had to have the road put in, and electricity ran to the property, so it was fairly isolated, but they got it all done and moved from Los Angeles to live there. One works in advertising and the other does IT support.



You bring up several excellent points and this has increased relevance now in our post-COVID world where teleworking is seen as a pretty much standard thing to do.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
L
Hotshot
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
I too have the romanticized idea of living somewhere out in the sticks were life is slower, safer, and a whole lot quieter. The truth is that all comes with some costs. Unfortunately as was get older, health issues start to pop up. Being able to access good hospitals and doctors requires proximity to the larger cities. A three hour drive to the city for a doctor appointment can suck if you have to go a lot. When your younger, employment is a key factor. I remember as a kid watching the small towns around where our summer vacation cabin in up north Michigan was start to fall into economic ruin when the only large place of employment, a big paper mill, closed down. After that there was nothing but fast food, retail, and some small business's that offered low paying, part time service industry jobs. That sure ended a lot of the quaint, quite small town allure rather quickly.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman


Or go in business for yourself as a professional consultant of some sorts, be this in finance, law, medicine, or technology.



True but statistically speaking, not that many people have the drive and intelligence to do that.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/03/22 04:59 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,418
Likes: 12
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,418
Likes: 12
Before Covid, I had planned to move out of the rapidly declining Vancouver area to a rural area, but now I'm strongly considering moving outside of Canada.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Before Covid, I had planned to move out of the rapidly declining Vancouver area to a rural area, but now I'm strongly considering moving outside of Canada.



Montana is real quiet and has cheap real estate and is right next to Canada in case you ever want to visit the place again. biggrin


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Before Covid, I had planned to move out of the rapidly declining Vancouver area to a rural area, but now I'm strongly considering moving outside of Canada.

Health care is keeping me in Canada.

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,418
Likes: 12
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,418
Likes: 12
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Montana is real quiet and has cheap real estate and is right next to Canada in case you ever want to visit the place again. biggrin


I'd hit the sunbelt if I was able to live in the U.S.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,225
Likes: 1
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,225
Likes: 1
Despite the crappy weather , I have nodesire to move off this isolated rock in the North Atlantic....being surrounded by water has its advantages


Archie Smythe

carpe diem
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by No105_Archie
Despite the crappy weather , I have nodesire to move off this isolated rock in the North Atlantic....being surrounded by water has its advantages

Like 10 feet of snow ?

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,418
Likes: 12
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,418
Likes: 12
IMO, big cities don't offer nearly the level of advantages that they did in previous eras.

There are a lot of major cities I would have loved to have lived in before the mid 2000s that I would hardly even consider visiting today.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Online: Content
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
That’s my thoughts as well.

I’m in the suburbs/rural. I like like this. Actually the growth here is getting to be more than my preference.

I would like to move to a fly-in community with a hangar attached to my house.

A few states I would consider get knocked off the list because of the politics. There are places I couldn’t own my gun collection.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by oldgrognard


I would like to move to a fly-in community with a hangar attached to my house.


I am contemplating this in northern Arizona right now--buying a house with a bunch of desert beside that I could land and park a homebuilt(that I pay someone to build) next to the house some day.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
I live in one of the most mellow climate areas in the states here in the SF Bay area on the peninsula (born and raised)...usually not too hot or cold. It's friggin overcrowded here now though...and full of people who I don't share political ideologies with.

So...to answer your question Panzer...I want to stay here but I want 75% of the people that came here in the last 50 years to move away. Does that count?


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,189
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,189
Likes: 37
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Arthonon
If you have a good internet connection, it's easier to have a more white-collar job in remote places these days. Some friends of mine bought a place in a small town, more than an hour's drive from the nearest airport, and have been working remotely for over a year with no problem. They bought a plot of land, had a place built, had to have the road put in, and electricity ran to the property, so it was fairly isolated, but they got it all done and moved from Los Angeles to live there. One works in advertising and the other does IT support.



You bring up several excellent points and this has increased relevance now in our post-COVID world where teleworking is seen as a pretty much standard thing to do.

BTW, just a kind of funny coincidence, one of the friends that moved from L.A. was born and raised in Winter Haven Florida.


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,509
Every Human is Unique
Member
Every Human is Unique
Member
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,509
To the original question:

I have lived in 3 places my entire life and 2 of them were rentals after I graduated high school. When I moved back from Cali, my mother moved out, as she could not stand my Xwife. Mother remained married to her, then, boyfriend for 31 years. She passed in 2020. I have a double lot at the end of a dead end street. They will remove the body after I pass, and god willing I will burn the place to the ground on the morning I die. I wish to leave nothing behind, other then my small fingerprint upon the internet.


TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
B
Old Scroat
Senior Member
Old Scroat
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
Buying or selling a property here in the UK is a precarious travail; expensive, and a most stressful archaic bureaucratic system has to be negotiated.
My wife wants to move to be nearer to the children. Don't know why as we can easily contact them via SM and we don't have any grandchildren to consider yet. One lives in London so that is completely out of the question. One in Devon, lovely county but too many 'Emmetts' (tourists and trippers) for my liking. One in Salisbury, Wiltshire, a desirable county and prices reflect this. Also we would have to consider the welfare of my eldest son who lives in adjacent 'Granny Annexe' here who would have some difficulty adjusting to an independent life.

Also we just have too much stuff and junk!

More than that, at 72, with lots of lovely dog walking country here in rural Worcestershire, and the dojo I attend just a couple of miles away, I just can't be arsed!



Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
IMO, big cities don't offer nearly the level of advantages that they did in previous eras.

There are a lot of major cities I would have loved to have lived in before the mid 2000s that I would hardly even consider visiting today.


I've come to the conclusion that big cities are nice to visit but not to live in. The prime example of this for me is NYC.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
I agree with that PM !!Big cites suck.Too fast moving and too many angry people.I love New concord.I walk my pup and everyone who passes always gives up a greeting.I don't own a car anymore but everything is within walking distance.We have one family owned grocery store and two pizza places.And a hardware store.Amazon is a good source for stuff that isn't available here I take my pup out around 4:30 AM and naturally don't see anybody.We go around the block a few times a day and sometimes I can go a whole week and not see anyone.I don't need crowded streets and big box stores.


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,955
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,955
Likes: 141
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
IMO, big cities don't offer nearly the level of advantages that they did in previous eras.

There are a lot of major cities I would have loved to have lived in before the mid 2000s that I would hardly even consider visiting today.


I've come to the conclusion that big cities are nice to visit but not to live in. The prime example of this for me is NYC.


I don't even find them nice to visit.


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by CyBerkut


I don't even find them nice to visit.


I'm big into museums and the performing arts and you really don't find much of that in even many mid-sized cities.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,999 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1