SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,583
G
Apex avoidance specialist
Member
Apex avoidance specialist
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,583
Hi all,

Here are few more of mine since my tentative return to building just over a year ago.

I'm having loads of fun doing these, and finding some health benefits from the concentration required and relaxation it provides.

In order of completion, all to 1/48 scale.


Revell Rafale




Italeri Gripen




Trumpeter Seahawk




Bronco Predator



Last edited by goon; 06/03/10 10:06 PM.

cheers
Gareth

UNDERSTEER - is when you hit the wall with the front wing.
OVERSTEER - is when you hit the wall with the back wing.
HORSEPOWER - is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE - is how far you can take the wall with you.

Read my scale modelling blog at www.latibuliser.com or mfhmazda787.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,710
L
Legsie is such a
Hotshot
Legsie is such a
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,710
They're gorgeous! Love the weathering, nice and subtle.


There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 419
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 419
Very Well Done! Excellent cockpit detailing!

Regards,

J. P. Kelly


System: Intel P4 2.80 GHz., 80 GB/2 HD
OS: Win XP SP3
Display: 17" XGA TFT
Memory: 1024 MB DDR SDRAM
Video: ATI Radeon IGP 345m w/128 MB Ram
Controls: Saitek X52, Rudder Pedals and Eclipse Keyboard
Current: Third Wire WOV, EAW 1.28d 1024 /SPAW/SPAW45 FAW Fleet Defender, IL-2. Learning: F/A-18 PSF/OIF, Falcon 4 AF, EF2000 Ver 2.0, SH Series (Pacific Aces)
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,194
H
Hotshot
Hotshot
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,194
Great!

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
S
Jack of all trades
Member
Jack of all trades
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 811
Gareth those are awesome, I really like the JAS-39B Gripen. The detailing is fantastic.

Cheers

Staffan


I've been behind before and still managed to loose
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,057
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,057
That is amazing work. What type of airbrush do you like?

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,583
G
Apex avoidance specialist
Member
Apex avoidance specialist
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,583
Thank you very much for your generous comments everyone. I use a Harder and Steinbeck Evolution Whitehead. Very easy cleaning, which is a great plus point.


cheers
Gareth

UNDERSTEER - is when you hit the wall with the front wing.
OVERSTEER - is when you hit the wall with the back wing.
HORSEPOWER - is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE - is how far you can take the wall with you.

Read my scale modelling blog at www.latibuliser.com or mfhmazda787.com
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,248
U
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot
U Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,248
Great skills goon, I wish I could build models with the same consistency smile

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,057
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted By: goon
Thank you very much for your generous comments everyone. I use a Harder and Steinbeck Evolution Whitehead. Very easy cleaning, which is a great plus point.


Awesome. Looks like it puts down a really fine layer....I have trouble with that through the generic brush I have. First Rate work!! That Predator looks real.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 79
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 79
Very nice indeed. What scale should a novice builder start with, 1/48th or 1/72th ?

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 4,803
L
Tom Thumb
Senior Member
Tom Thumb
Senior Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 4,803
jawdrop

Holy moly thats good!

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 777
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 777
sweet


I will ignore all ideas for new works and engines of war, the invention of which has reached its limits and for whose improvement I see no further hope.

� Julius Frontinus, chief military engineer to the Emperor Vespasian, cica AD 70.
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,583
G
Apex avoidance specialist
Member
Apex avoidance specialist
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,583
Thanks for the further replies.

bengo -> I had a break of nearly 20 years, after building a good few 1/48 aircraft and 1/20 F1 cars.

When I returned to the hobby I did a few 1/72 planes to get used to the tools and materials again. The ever helpful members at Britmodeller recommended the Revell Hunter as a good starter, and I built two of those consecutively. It was a good choice as it was cheap and went together very easily. Meaning that if I messed up at any stage the lost investment of time and money was minimal. I did a couple of more 1/72 'planes before realising that my old fingers can't cope with undercarriage at that scale and went up to 1/48!

Good luck!


cheers
Gareth

UNDERSTEER - is when you hit the wall with the front wing.
OVERSTEER - is when you hit the wall with the back wing.
HORSEPOWER - is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE - is how far you can take the wall with you.

Read my scale modelling blog at www.latibuliser.com or mfhmazda787.com
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 79
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 79
Originally Posted By: goon
...before realising that my old fingers can't cope with undercarriage at that scale and went up to 1/48!


That's the answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 828
Member
Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 828
Well done !!


JG1 Lipfert - Jagdgeschwader 1 "Fritz Schmenkel" "Oesau" "Richthofen"
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
P
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 13,787
It's pictures like that make me realize how badly I suck.

pfunk


"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 317
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 317
Dang, whenever I look at these beautifully done models, I just can't help swearing about why those do not come in ready-coloured/weathered kits with various skin work options...
I really want to have a big scale Hornet among others but the idea of looking at the gray-blue plastic allover Hornet... sigh


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,101 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1