I'm going to wait for the Vive, as my ecosystem is 99% steam based right now. (Maybe I need to edit my signature)
However, $599 is a tiny price to pay for VR immersion in flight sims.
I have an AMD FX8320 and a Radeon R9 something or other I slapped in there that I bought used. I haven't had any issues with anything save FSX which is a dog in my experience in general. Even that was immensely playable, just the odd hiccup here and there.
Space sims, racing sims, it's all incredible in VR. That's just with the DK2, never mind full retail.
Flight sims are just absolutely astounding. I'm in the plane. It's that simple. Flying an ME-410 with the 50mm cannon is just absolutely out of this world. I now understand what cramped means when I fly an HS-129 in VR. I have to duck to see the gauges under the canopy ledge. I have yet to try DCS World because AMD, but that must be very cool.
I know we're all invested in our screens, and track IR. I'm the guy that had a basement wall solely for my projector to race or fly with. VR absolutely blows anything out of the water by a huge margin. Track IR and an LCD panel is what HMS Hood was to the Bismarck.
I feel like my understanding of air combat has increased quite a bit because of it.
Don't sell it short, at the very least have a simmer give you a demo if you haven't tried it.