Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

[...]However, I believe the Hornet, while its coming was sussed out a bit before by things ED had done, was only officially announced around the same time the MiG-21 was. The MiG-21 is still not out and it's NOT multirole, NOT naval, has no AG radar[...]
The Jedi Master


I agree with the gist of your post, I disagree on a few points. I would argue with the inclusion of bombs, rockets, and especially the KH-66 Grom, the MiG-21 is multirole. The MiG's's radar seems to be the most conplex representations in DCS yet with both cloud and ground interference modelled, which would seem to indicate progress in that regime. Most importantly, what was Studio Beczl and is now Leatherneck aren't ED, and as such should be expected to produce modules slower than ED.

I understand the F-18C is the most complex aircraft that ED has tried to complete to this point, and that its development will take a non trivial amount of time. On the otherhand the way that ED has heretofore handled the F-18, an overwhelming sense of vagueness and reluctance to release hard information, is irksome as a potential customer. I want information, I want to something, anything solid. What block of F-18C are they going for? Has any work been done on the Cockpit? Which radar will it have? Will it be equipped with MWS? TADS? HMDS? Will we be able to dual mount AIM-120s on the wing stations? It doesn't have to be a prospective release date, or even a complete feature list, just something substantive that gives any indication they've been putting even a trivial amount of work towards it besides wing flexing.


Off to greener pastures