Now we move on to what the Apache was made to do - own the night! With the combined TADS/PNVS system the Apache is an excellent night fighter.
Once we get in the cockpit, we are instructed on how to turn on the cockpit night lighting and adjust it for the best results when combined with the night vision goggles. IHADDS brightness is also covered in the tutorial...
The NVGs are pretty well represented in the ARMA series, so the lighting effect is very good in the Apache cockpit...
After messing around with the lighting options we are instructed to start the engines and proceed to the practice area waypoint...
Flying with the NVGs is awesome and really gives a feeling of being ensconced in your own little world...
At one point I'm instructed to only fly by reference to the PNVS system, which I'm still a little shaky on the operation of and the reason for. I guess the PNVS view is the view only through the PNVS monocle? Whatever the case, the pure PNVS view is very green, and lacks much of the detail of the NVG view. I quickly switch back out of it and the instructor yells at me to get the PNVS back on. Yes Sir!
We fly to a couple waypoints and the instructor seems happy enough. Obviously I have a bit to learn about the sensors though because I'm a bit shaky on why exactly the PNVS view exists at all..
Taking a look at toward the assault ship off the coast...
I bring the helo around and line up on final to return to base...
At this point I'm more "renting" the dark as opposed to "owning" it...