Excellent point, I never thought of how the trees themselves mask the shape, but makes sense. I can never navigate that low, unless I can find a river/road/rail leading me where to go. Even then it's hard though, simply because its nearly impossible to follow a road or river at 400kph at 50m.
Have you seen anything specific to map tools? They've never mentioned what the SDK will include to the best of my knowledge.
There was an update a year or two ago that shoved a very comprehensive WIP map making tool that will be provided to the community at some point. This will allow modders to build smaller maps, while keeping the larger theater maps exclusive to the developer. That said I can't see any reason the developer wouldn't allow this tool to be used to modify and fix existing developers maps. The developer didn't release tools to the community, in the original series, but they have made a complete turn around for this series, with plans for the release of an SDK, and map making tools. If the development survives we should see some great improvements both from the community and developers over the life of the series. Its unfortunate that the development is so behind schedule, as I don't see them having the resources to finish the SDK, and map making tools for awhile.