SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4675847 02/07/26 03:25 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
A
Flight Sim Nut
Member
Flight Sim Nut
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
Hi guys,

I've noticed there are no Belgian N17 skins except the default one.

I copied the default skin into the Skins folder and renamed it as per the other N17 skins in there, 'off_nieuport17_t etc etc' but it doesn't show up in the game.

This happened with the Morane N as well. I know Pol you tried and it showed up but for me it doesn't. Is it something to do with permissions? Pol being the dev and all that or is it something to do with there only being the default skin?

All the French and British N17 skins are there but it doesn't recognise anything based on the Belgian default skin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

AT


"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Hi Albert... can you write the full name you used? I want to test it on my own rig and see... thanks.

If anything, the Escadrille has the plane assigned, but no specific paint scheme mentioned in the datafile for the squadron.


The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
A
Flight Sim Nut
Member
Flight Sim Nut
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
Thanks OvS

Yes I copied the default N17 QC skin from the aircraft folder.

Renamed it Off_Nieuport17_t_Test.dds and pasted it into the skins folder. It doesn't show up as available.

As mentioned, all other created N17 skins are there.

Cheers

AT


"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Yeah, I see that. Same for me... as a Belgian, or French I don't see the skin I named.


The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
A
Flight Sim Nut
Member
Flight Sim Nut
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
Glad to see it's not just me going mental.

Maybe something to do with permissions which Panama mentioned in an earlier post.

Hopefully Pol or Winder can throw some light onto it and sort it out.

Cheers


"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,094
Likes: 18
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,094
Likes: 18
Hi all isnt Graf working on some Belgian skins. Would they not show up in sim then? Sorry for any confusion


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,945
Likes: 13
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,945
Likes: 13
Adger: If and I do mean if the problem is "permissions" for the game to show the Belgian skins, WM may be waiting for Graf to finish his skins so OBD can add them in a new TLH 1.12 patch that also opens up the possibility of individuals to add their own skins then.


CPU = i9 14900KS
GPU = RTX 5080
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,094
Likes: 18
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,094
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by Panama Red
Adger: If and I do mean if the problem is "permissions" for the game to show the Belgian skins, WM may be waiting for Graf to finish his skins so OBD can add them in a new TLH 1.12 patch that also opens up the possibility of individuals to add their own skins then.


Thank you PR appreciate the reply mate.


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
We changed the name needed for the skin going forward for SOME aircraft to ensure so newly updated or created skins would show. The skins for the plain N17 need to be called OBD_* not Off_* for OTT onwards - as you can find in the skins folder.

If an aircraft has both in the Skins folder, it's using OBD_

The N17_Lewis is still using Off_*

Last edited by Polovski; 02/13/26 09:38 AM.

Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
A
Flight Sim Nut
Member
Flight Sim Nut
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
Nice one thanks Pol, that worked, changing off_ to obd_ the skin now shows up.


"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Originally Posted by Albert Tross
Thanks OvS

Yes I copied the default N17 QC skin from the aircraft folder.

Renamed it Off_Nieuport17_t_Test.dds and pasted it into the skins folder. It doesn't show up as available.

As mentioned, all other created N17 skins are there.

Cheers

AT


Sorry AT... I didn't realize this either ...until today. I totally forgot about the OFF/OBD factor... so as punishment.. I decided to remaster the N17 and add Belgium skins! LOL...

[Linked Image]


The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
A few more with better lighting... the left side is nearly completed, minus the cowling and more weathering...

I just felt this one needed a rework. It was one of the main original skins done by Rob "Rabu" Hoag in 2006, and recently reworked again by Polovski n 2024.

So... why not. I should have this one done fairly quickly. The N17 was like a Volkswagan Beetle with a machine gun. There really isn't much to this plane... it's kinda boring and plain. Lol. Maybe I'll add some lozenge and woodgrain while I'm at it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by OvStachel; 02/13/26 10:55 PM.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,094
Likes: 18
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,094
Likes: 18
Loving what you lads continue to do with the skins.
I cannot wait to see them in game. cheers


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
A
Flight Sim Nut
Member
Flight Sim Nut
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
Nice one OvS, no worries mate, sorted now and I know for the future. That's probably the reason the Morane Bullet skins didn't work either. Your skins are always ace so looking forward to those.


"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 952
Likes: 27
Barmy WingNut
Member
Barmy WingNut
Member
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 952
Likes: 27
Originally Posted by OvStachel
A few more with better lighting... the left side is nearly completed, minus the cowling and more weathering...

I just felt this one needed a rework. It was one of the main original skins done by Rob "Rabu" Hoag in 2006, and recently reworked again by Polovski n 2024.

So... why not. I should have this one done fairly quickly. The N17 was like a Volkswagan Beetle with a machine gun. There really isn't much to this plane... it's kinda boring and plain. Lol. Maybe I'll add some lozenge and woodgrain while I'm at it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For a plain crate, you've really added some shine to it - looks great!

I also love the layers of history in this sim and how well documented it's two plus decades of development is. The fact that Rabu's skins are still in there, and are now being improved, really adds a lot to the game for me. I still use his wonderful terrain in my Red Baron 3D collection.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Originally Posted by CaptSopwith
Originally Posted by OvStachel
A few more with better lighting... the left side is nearly completed, minus the cowling and more weathering...

I just felt this one needed a rework. It was one of the main original skins done by Rob "Rabu" Hoag in 2006, and recently reworked again by Polovski n 2024.

So... why not. I should have this one done fairly quickly. The N17 was like a Volkswagan Beetle with a machine gun. There really isn't much to this plane... it's kinda boring and plain. Lol. Maybe I'll add some lozenge and woodgrain while I'm at it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For a plain crate, you've really added some shine to it - looks great!

I also love the layers of history in this sim and how well documented it's two plus decades of development is. The fact that Rabu's skins are still in there, and are now being improved, really adds a lot to the game for me. I still use his wonderful terrain in my Red Baron 3D collection.

I agree...it's not easy replacing work that been part of the game for so long, and especially members you worked with and know, but to keep the game alive and modern, it becomes a choice we have to make.

Pol basically left it to me and I just thought it needed to be done. It wasn't on their punch list. I always like the Nieuports, especially the N11 and N17s. After doing the silver doping on the Pfalz D.IIIa, I thought to myself... I think I can get this looking better...let's try.

So here we are. Lol. It will only be the N17, not the Lewis or Bis for now. I have to see how this texture matches with the other two and see what I can and cannot use. But we're definitely going to get Belgian skins and aces.

I just don't have much of anything for the N17's...so it's off to the deep rabbit hole archive in the interweb.


Best regards!


The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,004 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1