SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
I have no words to describe what you see in this video. Restored from original footage ( as you see in the very end).

I was shocked. Have a look.



The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895
Likes: 75
Stunning, would be great to see the whole film restored.


Regards,

Polovski
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive, unique flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields & Wings Over The Reich
https://www.overflandersfields.com
https://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 172
Likes: 4
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 172
Likes: 4
Quite impressive ! Would like to see it all as well.
What is the aircraft ?

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
From what I can see, this is a dirigible. The film is sped up a lot. At one point, in the begining you can see a ground shadow of what he is flying.

It's amazing how well they were able to clean-up, colorize and stabilize this footage. It almost looks like a drone fly over.

To see the mass destruction of the aftermath is very humbling.


The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,351
Likes: 113
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,351
Likes: 113
Thats crazy! Pretty cool to see. Thanks for sharing!


WOFF - WOTR - Task Force Admiral - GHPC - The Isle

Ryzen 7 7800x3D w/Thermalright Royal Pretor 130 Cooler
XFX RX 7800XT 16GB
64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5
2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD
ASRock X670E Pro RS
Omen 34C Monitor
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 172
Likes: 4
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 172
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by OvStachel
From what I can see, this is a dirigible. The film is sped up a lot. At one point, in the begining you can see a ground shadow of what he is flying.

It's amazing how well they were able to clean-up, colorize and stabilize this footage. It almost looks like a drone fly over.

To see the mass destruction of the aftermath is very humbling.

Ah a dirigible. Engine sounds very smooth, unless it is dubbed.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Yes it's dubbed. Also the film appears sped up, but it's not. It's filmed in faster than 32 frames per second, which was common in early movie cameras. It's been processed, edited and stabilized. So we see the film and think he's going really fast. It's not the case, nor is it sped up. It's just the film FPS being shown at or normal eye speed which is roughly 32 FPS.


The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 952
Likes: 27
Barmy WingNut
Member
Barmy WingNut
Member
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 952
Likes: 27
You know, I almost didn't click on this because I thought I knew which film you had posted and it was indeed the black and white version of what they have transformed. Incredibly moving to see it in this format. I'm also curious about the kind of dirigible he's piloting, he's making pretty decent time! I'm wondering if there's some kind of propeller at the rear? At any rate, a fascinating and deeply moving look at the aftermath of this period we are so fascinated by.

Cheers mate! Here's to two weeks bump

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Thanks for this version... I'd seen it before in black and white years ago.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Originally Posted by CaptSopwith
You know, I almost didn't click on this because I thought I knew which film you had posted and it was indeed the black and white version of what they have transformed. Incredibly moving to see it in this format. I'm also curious about the kind of dirigible he's piloting, he's making pretty decent time! I'm wondering if there's some kind of propeller at the rear? At any rate, a fascinating and deeply moving look at the aftermath of this period we are so fascinated by.

Cheers mate! Here's to two weeks bump

I think it has more to do with the film speed...although his movements seem correct, I still think he's moving very fast for a dirigible. Not sure what he's actually piloting, but you can see the shadow on the ground in the very begining.

There are a few more videos like this out there that have been restored to 1080p and are just ghostly to watch. One is the Argonne Offensive. Looks almost like film from the Viet Nam era it's done so well.

And thanks...we've been awarded another 2 Weeks...!! Yay


The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,597
Likes: 6
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,597
Likes: 6
Would be nice to know what towns and villages he flew over in the film.


"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,681
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,681
Likes: 104
That is just stunning, just incredible. Thanks for posting OvStachel.

Last edited by Terl9999; 09/25/25 02:51 AM.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 250
Likes: 3
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 250
Likes: 3
Like Capt Sopwith, I almost didn’t watch this because I’m familiar with the original. But this restoration is stunning, it really brings it to life (a rather ironic term, given it shows the Western Front).

What surprises me is the amount of greenery, a tribute to Nature’s capacity to survive, and also that some structures still have roofs (or perhaps have been repaired already since the Armistice).


As for the aircraft, if memory serves it was a French Navy blimp. Wouldn’t have survived 30 seconds there during the War.
Plus they need to tighten the turnbuckle on the port forward suspension line.

Mike

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 855
Likes: 1
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 855
Likes: 1


We will remember them.
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 108
Hi Ted!

Hope all is well with you! Thanks for posting this. I had posted a similar video from the same source...it good to see they are continuing to restore and revitalize these to modern standard. It's mind-boggeling to see it all, especially colorized.

And to think....this was Europe...never can tell today.

Best regards!

James


The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
A
Flight Sim Nut
Member
Flight Sim Nut
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 816
Thanks for posting Ted,

I didn't realise they'd released another film.

Amazing footage, what those people must have seen, 4 years of utter destruction.

Still gives me shivers when I visit the Somme, Tyne Cot and Langemark....and that 'Last Post' at the Menen Gate....still grabs me.

Cheers

AT

Last edited by Albert Tross; 01/13/26 10:19 PM.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 855
Likes: 1
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 855
Likes: 1
I remember accounts of bomber crews coming home from raids 25 years later, and looking down, seeing the white scars shining in the moonlight, jagged on the landscape of the Somme, and realising with a shudder that they were flying over the ground that their fathers, uncles, and neighbours had fought and died on.
Cheers,
shredward


We will remember them.

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,649 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1