|
|
Joined: Jan 2026
Posts: 3
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Jan 2026
Posts: 3 |
Hey guys, brand new player here.
Started a campaign with my first squadron flying the Aviatik BI in mid 1915. From my understanding this aircraft was typically unarmed less bombs and flares while it was being used in the bomber role.
However, I ran into a bit of a head scratcher. I've flown 3 sorties. On my 3rd and last sortie there was a notification that multiple pilots in my squadron had kills and claims.
The problem is that we 1) were not on a bomber mission so I don't think it was from bomb hits and 2) We're all flying the BI so no one should have any type of defensive armament.
So I guess my question is is there a way to arm the observer? Is that why the other pilots had claims and kills? I have not found a way to arm my observer or change their loadout yet. Not sure if there is a way or if it's something i'm missing.
When i try and fire the Aviatik BI I do hear a clicking noise. But if it doesn't have any guns on board so not sure why I hear the clicking?
Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75 |
In theory they should not be getting kills, which squadron?
Likely because 99% of aircraft have guns - possibly that one we did not compensate for.
On the clicking, best not to press fire. (Technically it has a dummy gun in there for other technical reasons, but no ammo - but this is not related to AI kills).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2026
Posts: 3
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Jan 2026
Posts: 3 |
Hey thank you for the response!
It was the FA 40 LB squadron in 1915. I just created another pilot and enlisted in that squadron again and one of the pilots has a kill and a claim right off the bat.
And copy on the clicking sound, I'm just happy to learn I wasn't doing something wrong!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 266 Likes: 3
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 266 Likes: 3 |
It's likely from my experience that pilots that rack up or start with a few kills might be historical aces. As far as I've been able to see their kills tally reflects their historical one whether something actually happens during sim sorties or not.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75 |
For sure, and using role playing you could say some pilots have access to other aircraft sometimes to get the odd kill. Also it's likely what you see is pilots that already had claims in, before you joined, may get them processed later and kills awarded from those as time goes on - i.e it doesn't mean they have new kills as such. We'll look into it, if we can just remove those, but no promises of course.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2026
Posts: 3
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Jan 2026
Posts: 3 |
Absolutely and I totally get that. I was more so worried I was missing where to equip a weapon or something along those lines. Glad to hear I'm good!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 855 Likes: 1
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 855 Likes: 1 |
FA40 adds Aviatik CIs to its' flightline on October 1, and Fokker EIIs the following month. Cheers, shredward
We will remember them.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 17
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Dec 2025
Posts: 17 |
Hi, By no means I'm intending to hijack this thread, but as the caption fits, I thought I might as well ask my questions here, instead of starting a new one.
1. Does Aviatik B1 supposed to have mixture control? If it does, I can't get mine to work. I have remapped the buttons for keyboard to PgUp/PgDown (via WOFF key mapper) and then assigned those buttons to my TM Warthog throttle (via TARGET), but neither of those inputs do nothing.
2. The lift of this craft is incredible: even if I have the throttle set near idle, it lifts the nose up (until it stalls) and I really have to push the stick to keep the plane level. This makes some interesting landings! And with Warthog stick, this is a real strain to an arm, which is why I've cheated and used the elevator trim. Is this craft supposed to act like this? I don't recall any other aircraft having so extreme lift.
3. Recon missions with another craft (not a B1 specific): In some mission types at least, the lead plane does not fly over the target, but instead starts to circle around it. If I want to keep formation, I will never be able to take notes/photographs in correct position, and so have to break formation to do so. I'd like to know, is there a reason for the flight leader behaving like that?
Regards, Elsilhe
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,895 Likes: 75 |
I'll split this off the thread as it's not related, except for being the same type of aircraft.
1> Maybe try the keyboard shortcut for mixture, the controls work here. Make sure you don't have auto mixture on.
2. Without going into an FM discussion, it's tail-heavy, when I try it, it stalls out quickly, and at idle stalls real quickly. It's an early WW1 aircraft and not great. You can perhaps tweak trim.
3. You are the one taking notes so it's fine to break off and do that and let the others support.
Last edited by Polovski; 02/02/26 10:11 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|