I was wondering what was making the FPS drop 10-15fps when inside the cockpit and facing forwards. (From 60+ outside to 50/45 at lowest inside.) When looking down to the bottom of the cockpit the frames increase a lot. Outside the aircraft as well. Just inside something seems to be very heavy for my computer. Not a big deal just wondering, still playable enough.
I have a slightly different problem. My game is dropping to somewhere around 35 frames when I´m close to the ground, while I have good FPS high in the air. The frames seem to start dropping below an altitude of about 600m. What could be causing this? Any hints with which setting I should fiddle? My PC should be above spec with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, 32GB of RAM and a NVIDIA RTX 4090.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x only boosts to a max of 4.8 GHz. Older games like CFS3.exe (WOFF in reality is just a "Big" mod of CFS3), like stronger CPU's versus modern games liking stronger GPUs.
You have not said what your Workshop setting are, let alone what your Monitor resolution and GPU AA settings are.
All these effect what your FPS are at any given moment in the game. Plus the closer you are to the ground (or around an airfield) your FPS will drop off unless you have a stronger CPU to process all the items in the game.
When you are flying high above the ground, the CPU does not have to process all these ground objects, but the closer you get to the ground (and airfield) to more the CPU has to process and the lower your FPS.
CPU = i9 14900KS GPU = RTX 5080 Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
You have a very capable system which should max the settings out in WOFF.... However, it won't. I've tried maxing out the settings on a PC with a 7800x3d and a 5090 and could only get 60 FPS during late 1917 to 1918 while parked on the ground in a campaign. I really like playing WOFF, so, I'm just giving you realistic expectations. It took me years to finally realize that once you know what to expect from WOFF's performance, you'll stop trying to fiddle with the settings and enjoy it for what it can deliver.
There are a couple of settings which you can try to adjust which may or may not help.... render distance <100, and lower cloud shadow quality. You can also play around with the other settings in that same area of the workshop. Also, close all browser windows and background processes.
The very max settings are not necessarily usable in all higher end PCs, we have some future-proofing always in there.
Dial back a few items, perhaps if you need more fps.
Nearer the ground you will see many more objects, plus airfields, grass etc etc. Nothing is free. Airfields and objects use up more fps due to the way the engine lights them and so on.
Some of these in Workshops will help;
Reduce:
Render Dist (km) Scenery Density Terrain Detail Cloud Shadow Quality Woods/Forest Density etc
on the 'more' page in Workshops: Airfield complexity set to medium. Grass, reduce that perhaps.
You can also adjust the aircraft numbers in the sky, Perhaps reduce; Campaign Mission Freq Forced Encounters Regional Air Activity
Also note 1918 is much more fps intensive, 1917 a little less, 1916 better etc. Less aircraft up there.
There are actually three different ways to get around the low FPS counter problem:
1. Get a stronger CPU (costs money). 2. Turn down the Workshop settings (costs visually). 3. Turn off the FPS counter (free).
Option 3 is the easiest because if WOFF is playing smoothly (except for the occasional "hick-up" when the internal 4 GB cache get refilled), the FPS number is nothing more than a physiological problem as you mentally try to get the FPS higher while not enjoying the game as it is.
CPU = i9 14900KS GPU = RTX 5080 Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
Since then I have reduced airfield grass to 2, which did help a little.
I don´t care too much about the FPS counter, but I need good FPS to record smooth video footage. You might have noticed the occasional stutter if you have watched my WOFF videos. That´s when the FPS dips too much.
Try reducing the viewing distance for your videos to 75km and you will see an improvement in the FPS.
100km is the most realistic viewing distance in the game from all pilot reports I've ever seen, but each step up in distance puts additional strain on the CPU for all the additional items it must remember out there that you may or may not see at that distance.
Note: Just as a reference, the original WOFF viewing distance before the newer added viewing distance selection was 50km.
CPU = i9 14900KS GPU = RTX 5080 Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
[...] My game is dropping to somewhere around 35 frames when I´m close to the ground, while I have good FPS high in the air. The frames seem to start dropping below an altitude of about 600m. What could be causing this? Any hints with which setting I should fiddle? [...]
Have a look at your inbox on CombatAce when convenient for you - have PM-ed you there regarding relevant info.
Cheers,
~ For my various FM/DM/AI/Tuner Mods for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, recommended is to check over this post. For my First Eagles 2 clips, go here. ~
I was getting micro-stutters and quick pauses quite abit. I had tuned everything down I could. I finally turned Airfield Activity to Player Airfield only and my game is sooo much smoother now. Might give that a shot.
WOFF - WOTR - Task Force Admiral - GHPC - The Isle
Ryzen 7 7800x3D w/Thermalright Royal Pretor 130 Cooler XFX RX 7800XT 16GB 64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD ASRock X670E Pro RS Omen 34C Monitor
only one point about render distance: You need very good / TOP weather conditions for a visibility of 100Km or more (in europe). In the average of a year 75 or 50Km are more realistic than 100Km IMHO. So I fly WOFF with 75 or 50Km.
Only an idea: Because of this reality-point and the FPS/CFS3-engine maybe a change of this WS-feature to 50, 75, 100Km is better, not more.
[...] My game is dropping to somewhere around 35 frames when I´m close to the ground, while I have good FPS high in the air. The frames seem to start dropping below an altitude of about 600m. What could be causing this? Any hints with which setting I should fiddle? [...]
Have a look at your inbox on CombatAce when convenient for you - have PM-ed you there regarding relevant info.
Cheers,
Hello Vons, do you mind sharing with us as well? If ofcourse, that is possible?
[...] Hello Vons, do you mind sharing with us as well? If ofcourse, that is possible?
Hello, the relevant info. is found under this post. I merely sent the "mini tuner" files as attachments to Tonci, for convenience (but all of the instructions for download can be found under the linked post).
Cheers,
~ For my various FM/DM/AI/Tuner Mods for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, recommended is to check over this post. For my First Eagles 2 clips, go here. ~
Tonci87: Airfield activity: It's the new troops and vehicles that OBD has added to WOFF in TLH addon, not my static troops and vehicles in my Enhanced Populated Airfield Mod.
CPU = i9 14900KS GPU = RTX 5080 Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
Another solution to help maintain your FPS is to use software such as lossless scaling. If you don't mind image generation, this solution has its advantages. I've tested it and it works with WOFF. The only drawback is that sometimes you can experience slight ghosting during rapid head movements.