SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Originally Posted by ArgonV
X3 and Falcon 4.0 for me. I tried, but just couldn't. Another whole genre for me are most turn-based RPGs. Can't stand em.

X3, was another one for me, I just couldn't remember the name of it.


X3 is pretty opaque. As much as I love the game, the menus upon menus upon menus becomes insanity, after a while. Particularly when you start getting to the mid game.

X4 handles this a lot better, thankfully.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,841
Likes: 2
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 2,841
Likes: 2
You can add me to the Elite Dangerous list. According to Steam, I last played it in 2016. I managed to put in 165 hours, but at that time, about all one could do was fly around and land at stations. I finally got bored with it since there was little else to do. I just never reinstalled it after updating to a new PC around that time.

Dying Light-- a zombie apocalypse game with an emphasis on parkour to avoid the zombies while going on missions, instead of blasting them with weapons. Where's the fun in that?


What's disappointing now--from the last several posts is that I also own but have never installed both U-boat and X3. I'm sure I bought them on some Steam sale. Sigh!

Cheers


Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Forward Observer
What's disappointing now--from the last several posts is that I also own but have never installed both U-boat and X3. I'm sure I bought them on some Steam sale. Sigh!

Cheers

I actually reinstalled UBoat yesterday since I read that it has had several updates since I last played it. I'll give it another shot to see if I get into it.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,151
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,151
Likes: 190
RE Elite Dangerous....

I asked Grok AI to create a simple ED game strategy, it came up with 3 options based on the latest Odyssey version of the game. I bought Odyssey ( $6 I believe it was) but haven't tried it yet. I did re-install ED.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,656
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,656
Likes: 104
UBoat can be entertaining to a point, not terrible, not great, maybe a little repetitive, beautiful graphics though. There has been a bunch of updates since it was first released, yeah give it another shot PM.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Terl9999
UBoat can be entertaining to a point, not terrible, not great, maybe a little repetitive, beautiful graphics though. There has been a bunch of updates since it was first released, yeah give it another shot PM.


Maybe I’ll re-watch “Das Boot” for like the 50th time to work myself up before a gaming session.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
[
Maybe I’ll re-watch “Das Boot” for like the 50th time to work myself up before a gaming session.


Maybe playing "It's a long way to Tipperary" in the background will work. That, or watching football games with Schalke.

smile


In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,824
Likes: 12
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,824
Likes: 12
Riven.
I tried and tried. Two or three times. That was enough for me.


Intel i7-14700K, 32 GB DDR 5, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, AMD Radeon RX 9070 XT 16 GB
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,370
Likes: 1
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,370
Likes: 1
DCS...I just find the world to be very very sterile


"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,370
Likes: 1
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,370
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Spidey
DCS...I just find the world to be very very sterile

And Holy #%&*$#...I have been on this site for 25 yearsn now???


"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,656
Likes: 104
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,656
Likes: 104
Spidey I can see your point. I don't really have a modern PC to fully enjoy it. When things in the get busy in this sim my current PC slows down but this sim has beautiful graphics and detailed systems but no dynamic campaign like Falcon F4 BMS.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Spidey
DCS...I just find the world to be very very sterile


This is why 95% of my time in DCS is multiplayer. The interaction with other players makes up for the sterile environment.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by Spidey
DCS...I just find the world to be very very sterile
I find the same with IL2 Great Battles compared to WOFF.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Spidey
Originally Posted by Spidey
DCS...I just find the world to be very very sterile

And Holy #%&*$#...I have been on this site for 25 yearsn now???

Time flies faster the older you get.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by Terl9999
Spidey I can see your point. I don't really have a modern PC to fully enjoy it. When things in the get busy in this sim my current PC slows down but this sim has beautiful graphics and detailed systems but no dynamic campaign like Falcon F4 BMS.

There are quite a few online servers with persistent dynamic campaign environments. The battlefield is always changing. This is the way to play DCS.

Plenty are PvE, while some are PvPvE.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Originally Posted by Terl9999
Spidey I can see your point. I don't really have a modern PC to fully enjoy it. When things in the get busy in this sim my current PC slows down but this sim has beautiful graphics and detailed systems but no dynamic campaign like Falcon F4 BMS.

There are quite a few online servers with persistent dynamic campaign environments. The battlefield is always changing. This is the way to play DCS.

Plenty are PvE, while some are PvPvE.


Yup. I’ve been playing a Foothold campaign in the Kola Peninsula map for a while now with several friends and it’s been great.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 458
Likes: 1
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 458
Likes: 1
Highfleet, because of changes to the game in patches and despite a sizeable enough cry to revert or at least add changes as toggle-able options, nothing was ever done.

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Uboat

I agree if all you do is play stock game.
But it has modding support, which has added a good amount of candy like manual TDC which the devs then implemented.
They're also coming out with Type IX Uboats and a distant coasts expansion, with that Uboat will be the first sim with long range Type IX's in at least a good while.
Not saying you have to instantly pick it back up, but it's worth keeping an eye on! smile

Originally Posted by Spidey
DCS...I just find the world to be very very sterile
I have to agree, can't be bothered with launching and joining a server etc etc.

Falcon BMS is it for me right now, it's got features that ED is currently adding to DCS almost as if they were the first out with it (like the whole Data cartridge on F16), Falcon 5 was announced too (and I'd be much surprised if it isn't going to borrow heavily from BMS), we'll see how that goes!

(Admin can tell me if I'm going way outta left field here)
In general I'm becoming less and less of a fan of Russian made simulators, if we take away geopolitical reasons (the war, tax money and all that), I STILL haven't figured out how to make a server on IL-2.
And DCS shoulda had Dynamic Campaign a long time ago, now it's just such a mess of a game code I doubt they could do it without a complete rewrite, which they can't finance because the hangar/richboys that own ED, whenever they need money for their planes, they just keep withdrawing it from ED's purse, which seems to be stomping any development efforts.
They (1C) were entrusted with keeping the WWI multiplayer community safe with Rise of Flight and Flying Circus, what happened there? Dogwater Flight Models on German planes, you can tilt the stick all the way back without repercussion unlike Entente planes, and the worst German pane outturns the best planes the Entente fielded (SE5's and Spad's), SE5's mixed it up with German planes on the daily, and dished about as good as they got, in FC that's not the case, you're dead within a couple of turns.
And they shattered the MP community not ONCE, but TWICE, by belatedly introducing WW2 bullet dispersion values to Rise of Flight, so wings shed in an instant after just a few hits, then they just left it like that.
And then they did it again in Flying Circus, interestingly the bullet dispersion wasn't fixed in FC until after Jason Williams left.
That marks two separate occasions almost 10 years apart..
(honestly I'm not as hyped on Jason as a lot of others might be, he's been acting non-great on FC discords, he's waging a feud with 1C on social media too, saying they tried to stifle his efforts, while on their part they say he made them develop drop tanks which curtailed carrier landing mechanics only for him to start work on a PTO title immediately after he left 1C which... I mean, it checks out)

And there's controversy with other Russian sim-titles too, ranging from political reasons, to FM/DM, to community interaction.
I'm at the point I couldn't even care less about IL-2 Korea, wish OBD/WoFF went multiplayer so we could get an actually GOOD WW1 mp title.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Outstanding post RedvonHammer. I’ll look into those mods you mentioned for Uboat. Thanks.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,105
Likes: 81
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,105
Likes: 81
Ran down my Steam library and all of these fit the criteria

Dark Souls III
Outer Wilds
Outer Worlds
Tyranny
Dragon's Dogma
Bioshock Infinite
Age of Wonders 4
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
I enjoyed the gameplay in Bioshock Infinite but I had no clue what was going on story-wise. It’s like the storyline was co-written by David Lynch and Wes Anderson.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,827 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1