"I bought On Her Majesty's Secret Service" some years ago but have yet to watch it. I've also been thinking about getting the Timothy Dalton Bond movies as I read many people really enjoyed his version of 007. He's a very good actor and that combined with the 80s era I think should make for some pretty good entertainment.
2 hours 12 minutes film, took us 5 hours to watch it.
We kept stopping it and going to do other things, not because the movie is scary, it's not.
It's pace wrong, the same scene over and over
(woman screaming crying, saying He Is Coming, woman screaming crying again, saying Come To Me, woman screaming crying again and again,saying Who Is Coming, woman screaming crying again and again and again, saying He Is Coming, Come To Me, Who Is Coming again and again...).
It is very monotonous dull to watch.
1 hour into it and we were saying, let Dracula or Nosferatu or whatever he calls himself just kill the girl and end the movie...
Another movie from this year's Oscar nominations list I can say I have actually seen.
That is just one of several reasons why he was fired after one film by the producers. They then had to beg Connery to come back for one more film.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Timothy Dalton was an excellent bond, better than Pierce Brosnan, easily. He should have continued starring in the role.
His second film flopped at the box office so hence his tenure was over. Hollywood is a business.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
"Section 31" probably THE Worst Star Trek offering since the last two seasons of Discovery, I watched it for a half hour and stopped came back and watched some more it was really hard to digest, a Vulcan (*who isn't really) with a hard Irish accent (I think) was the first big mistake and it only gets worse. I don't really know where they plan on going with it but it won't make it with the more hardcore fan base. Michelle Yeoh tries really hard to make it work but it just doesn't.
Win 11 Pro MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
"Section 31" probably THE Worst Star Trek offering since the last two seasons of Discovery, I watched it for a half hour and stopped came back and watched some more it was really hard to digest, a Vulcan (*who isn't really) with a hard Irish accent (I think) was the first big mistake and it only gets worse. I don't really know where they plan on going with it but it won't make it with the more hardcore fan base. Michelle Yeoh tries really hard to make it work but it just doesn't.
Thanks, I will avoid.
Star Trek has lost its way in the last decade or so. "Strange New Worlds" is the only new show I have liked at all, and it has many flaws. The total disregard for rank protocol and the "its a woman's world" vibe being a couple of the worst.
Star Wars too is a disaster of late...
And they're talking of "re-booting" the Stargate franchise, with an apparent ban on anyone previously associated with the franchise being involved now, so my favorite "Star" franchise will probably soon follow the others down the drain. Fortunately I own all of the "OG" Stargate content on Blu-ray.
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
That is just one of several reasons why he was fired after one film by the producers. They then had to beg Connery to come back for one more film.
Lazenby was not fired. He didn't want the Bond role and his agent told him if you don't do this, you will regret it. This role will make you rich and famous.
Then after completing the movie, before it even premiered, Lazenby was offered a 7 movie deal but the same agent who told him to take the role then told him he should leave the role because Bond is out of place in the Hippies era of that time:
no one in their right mind will pay money to make 6 more Bond films and the audiences wouldn't be interested in seeing more.
IMO On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the Best non Sean Connery Bond film.
Timothy Dalton was an excellent bond, better than Pierce Brosnan, easily. He should have continued starring in the role.
He plays a serious, deadly Bond, as Ian Flemming envisioned, but I don't think he had the charisma for the role.
It was also the wrong time for a dark and serious Bond. Mainstream audiences were used to Roger Moore and his campy lighter take on the role. It was not until Casino Royale with Dainel Craig that audiences responded well to Bond being dark and serious.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
I finished the first two seasons of "Squid Game" and...
The first season is excellent. One of the episodes, in particular, was one of the best hours of television, ever.
Season 2 is... Eh. Starts out weak. Has some overt wokeness which was quite annoying--they even spent an entire episode pandering, which is surprising for a Korean show. I did not think they were woke there? I know the Japanese aren't.
Odd.
Anyways, the ending to Season 2 was pretty good, despite the shortcomings.
I cannot rate as there's one more season being made. So far was a decent watch, if only for the first season. They squandered too much potential in the second, and the writers needed a couple more drafts, willing to throw out entire sections and write again.
All of the Bond films had some element of cheese/camp in them until the Daniel Craig era.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Groundhog Day is just good entertainment. No agenda, just fun and funny
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell