13 Assassins, I'd call it a poor man's Seven Samurai, but that's not totally fair. Is it as good as Seven Samurai, no, but it's not bad. Some of the plot beats are real similar though. You have a sadistic half brother to the Shogun who's probably going to be the next Shogun. A few people are unhappy about this and a conspiracy starts to get him killed. So they start their recruiting process until they get 13 Samurai and then start their training and preparations. Events get manipulated to get the target to pass through a certain town where they plan to ambush them. The way they prepared that battlefield and final battle were great.
13 Assassins, I'd call it a poor man's Seven Samurai, but that's not totally fair. Is it as good as Seven Samurai, no, but it's not bad. Some of the plot beats are real similar though. You have a sadistic half brother to the Shogun who's probably going to be the next Shogun. A few people are unhappy about this and a conspiracy starts to get him killed. So they start their recruiting process until they get 13 Samurai and then start their training and preparations. Events get manipulated to get the target to pass through a certain town where they plan to ambush them. The way they prepared that battlefield and final battle were great.
I looked this one up and I'm intrigued. Where were you able to watch it? Netflix?
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
13 Assassins, I'd call it a poor man's Seven Samurai, but that's not totally fair. Is it as good as Seven Samurai, no, but it's not bad. Some of the plot beats are real similar though. You have a sadistic half brother to the Shogun who's probably going to be the next Shogun. A few people are unhappy about this and a conspiracy starts to get him killed. So they start their recruiting process until they get 13 Samurai and then start their training and preparations. Events get manipulated to get the target to pass through a certain town where they plan to ambush them. The way they prepared that battlefield and final battle were great.
I looked this one up and I'm intrigued. Where were you able to watch it? Netflix?
My wife has Amazon Prime so I'm good to go. Thanks for the info!
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Late to the party: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.
Please, please never cast Phoebe Waller-Bridge in a movie ever again. And don’t let Kathleen Kennedy ruin more movies. I’ve had it with her stepping on old, fondly-remembered fan favourite characters. That’s her modus operandi, it seems. I will never watch anything she’s involved with again.
In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Late to the party: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.
Please, please never cast Phoebe Waller-Bridge in a movie ever again. And don’t let Kathleen Kennedy ruin more movies. I’ve had it with her stepping on old, fondly-remembered fan favourite characters. That’s her modus operandi, it seems. I will never watch anything she’s involved with again.
Did you find Dial of Destiny to be about as bad as Crystal Skull?
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Did you find Dial of Destiny to be about as bad as Crystal Skull?
Much worse. Waller-Bridge was insufferably bad, and her sidekick also annoying. Mads Mikkelsen was an excellent villain, though. I always sort of liked Crystal Skull, so I found Dial to be the worst of the movies.
I’d rank them like this: Crusade Raiders Temple Crystal
Dial
In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Phoebe ruined the last Bond film. She was a screenwriter hired to polish the script and she made Bond more family oriented and human and gave him the child and wrote the breakfast scene.
Then she added the black woman 007 agent for feminism .
Here she admitted she did not research and never seen them Bond films
Did you find Dial of Destiny to be about as bad as Crystal Skull?
Much worse. Waller-Bridge was insufferably bad, and her sidekick also annoying. Mads Mikkelsen was an excellent villain, though. I always sort of liked Crystal Skull, so I found Dial to be the worst of the movies.
Dial
I like Mikkelsen a lot. He's a very gifted actor who is always very good in any role. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in since I first noticed him in Casino Royale.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
After a group of criminals kidnap the ballerina daughter of a powerful underworld figure, they retreat to an isolated mansion, unaware that they're locked inside with no normal little girl.
I did enjoy Troy NFB, but if you did enjoy the Omen trilogy you will enjoy this.
Mick.
Troy was indeed a worthy effort by Wolfgang Petersen. It's hard for me to believe that movie came out 20 years ago. Sheesh.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Well a producer and some cast of The Acolyte bragged that it was "the gayest Star Wars yet".....v
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
NFB, have you seen Andor? The Star Wars mini series? One of the best ones IMO as it seemed to be made for adults and not kids, really good acting, story.
Mick.
"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"