SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 376 of 442 1 2 … 374 375 376 377 378 … 441 442
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,152
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,152
Likes: 190
Gonky and Mover were discussing TG3 last night, the idea of a prequel with Cruise playing his Phantom driver father came up. That could be awesome.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Wigean
I watched Top Gun : Maverick on Netflix a couple of days ago.

I`m happy that I didn`t spend money to watch it in a theatre.

What a dissapointment.



What did you not like about it specifically?


I can watch aircrafts all day.

This time I guess I knew too much about the story that it was too predictable.


“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,946
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,946
Likes: 141
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Isn't the bombing run of Top Gun Maverick same as Star Wars Death Star trench run?


No, obviously.


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by Wigean
I watched Top Gun : Maverick on Netflix a couple of days ago.

I`m happy that I didn`t spend money to watch it in a theatre.

What a dissapointment.



My issue with the movie were the overt references to nostalgia. They were unnecessary and the film would have been better without. We don't need constant in our face wink winks about the previous movie, everywhere.

Regardless, I enjoyed the film. The first is better, however, despite the not so well aged jank.

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Mr B,

I loved the nods back to the first film and found the film quite emotional at points though I am a soppy creature sometimes. To me, the nods made it even better. But, horses for courses!

I would be very interested in the TG3 story-line with Maverick playing his father. Would solve his ageing issues in the film and I found that angle interesting in the first.

Though I have a feeling the appetite for Vietnam flavoured story-line may not go down well with audiences nowadays.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by RossUK
Mr B,



Though I have a feeling the appetite for Vietnam flavoured story-line may not go down well with audiences nowadays.



That is a solid assumption based on the fact that the height of the Vietnam War genre in Hollywood was roughly from the release of "Apocalypse Now" in 1979 to the early 90's. The genre has largely been untouched by Hollywood since then.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Finish Fargo season 5. A great final episode to a fantastic season.

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Finished the entire Perry Mason series for the second time yesterday.

Series was 271 episodes (1957 to 1966) -- with re-watches that's nominally 542 episodes.

Learned a bit about myself.

Firstly, in watching to pass time and not evaluating, I remember virtually nothing from any particular episode when seeing it again months later.

Part of the memory issue is due to the cast virtually always being the same group of actors just playing different roles. And, the sets are virtually all from the same set of sets -- just using different set decorations. And, the unfolding of events is often similar. So, I find little to visually differentiate episodes. And, visual memory is my strong suit -- when designing stuff I used to see the stuff forming in my mind -- full color and 3D ( biggrin ).

I do not remember episode titles after about 10 seconds of the first scene. Never have remembered "names" of people, places, or things very well. biggrin


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Allen


Series was 271 episodes (1957 to 1966) -- with re-watches that's nominally 542 episodes.



One thing that has always fascinated me are actors who play the same character over so many years. Don't these actors get bored playing the same role for so long? I'm sure some of them do but they do it for the paycheck after all. biggrin

The ultimate example of this of course are the day time soap actors. Many of them have played the same character on the same show for decades.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Online: Content
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Online: Content
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
I'm sure a lot of actors settle for the regular paycheck, like most people except they're acting I guess. Some actors though really embrace the recurring role, the one that springs to mind most is Peter Falk.


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Finish Fargo season 5. A great final episode to a fantastic season.


Will be watching it tomorrow, so no spoilers, please. Best season since the first, IMO.
Jon Hamm is superb as the sheriff!


In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Allen
Series was 271 episodes (1957 to 1966) -- with re-watches that's nominally 542 episodes.


One thing that has always fascinated me are actors who play the same character over so many years. Don't these actors get bored playing the same role for so long?


You got that right. They say Raymond Burr was "tired" of Perry Mason and wanted to do a different series. He had agreed to do one more season -- but, that season was cancelled after the 1966 season.

In 1967 he began the "Ironside" series. In this one he plays the Good Cop in a Wheel Chair. Yesterday, we ordered the "Ironside: The Complete Series" -- nominally 56 disks and "9660 minutes".

"Ironside" arrives tomorrow. We'll see if we like it. smile
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-18 052633.png


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Yesterday, in addition to ordering "Ironside", we started "re-watching" "Murder She Wrote".

As with Mason, I remembered virtually nothing from the first 3 episodes. biggrin


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
lol 56 DVDs? Wow.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
lol 56 DVDs? Wow.



That's nothing. Check out The Simpsons boxed dvd set .


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
I have been trying to find the two-part miniseries (or TV movie) «Shackleton» from 2002, starring Kenneth Branagh. It hasn’t been available on DVD/BluRay, nor on any of the streaming services. Someone recently uploaded it to YouTube, so I watched it over the last couple of evenings. It’s very good! A bit slow at first, but once the expedition gets going it’s excellent. Followed Alfred Lansing’s book about the expedition very well. Some excellent performances in it, as always from Branagh, but the others are good as well.

Part 1:
https://youtu.be/D9jC5JoYWD4?si=kGGYOMeKQPwnRnvR

Part 2:
https://youtu.be/BAg-W-kWh2A?si=y4eS5ETnK6jdqeAL


In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Amazon has it if you have a region 2 player https://www.amazon.com/Shackleton-Kenneth-Branagh/dp/B0088EDNMM


I don't, so I'll probably just have to watch the youtube videos one of these days.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Finish Reacher season 2. I am ready for season 3!

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,824
Likes: 12
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,824
Likes: 12
"The Offer"
Ive seen two episodes now and it is excellent! Just my kind of production.
Backstory to the Godfather, and very well done I think.



Last edited by Tarnsman; 01/19/24 05:24 AM.

Intel i7-14700K, 32 GB DDR 5, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, AMD Radeon RX 9070 XT 16 GB
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Tarnsman

Backstory to the Godfather, and very well done I think.





I thought that was already done in Godfather 2? wink


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 376 of 442 1 2 … 374 375 376 377 378 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,262 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1