I recently watched two movies I have never seen and really enjoyed.
I've been wanting to see "Suspect" for several years now and Youtube has it for free right now. Sher, Dennis Quaid and Liam Neeson perform in what makes for a great little courtroom drama/political thriller. The other is "The Year of Living Dangerously" with Mel Gibson, Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hunt. Another very good movie. They just don't make good movies like this anymore. These are two movies that I would like to watch again.
Here's several movies off the top of my head that I have watched many times:
The Mission (1986)
The Hunt for Red October
The Firm
A Few Good Men
Shawshank Redemption
There are many others to add to that list but my mind thinks on other movies that I can watch many times over such as The Chamber, Edge of Darkness(Mel Gibson), Open Range, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Passion of the Christ, Chariots of Fire, Mississippi Burning, The Right Stuff, Force 10 From Navarone, Witness, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Braveheart, Cole Miner's Daughter, The 13th Warrior and so many others.
Throne of Blood will provide a fitting contrast to Hidden Fortress because it has a very dark and repressing mood.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Yep. I would have loved to have seen a sequel to "Galaxy Quest"
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Galaxy Quest for me is the greatest sci-fi comedy/parody of all time. It even beats Spaceballs.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Watched the limited series, "The Days" on Netflix. It covers the events surrounding the tsunami that hit Fukushima, Japan, causing the nuclear power plant disaster and the response.
Having worked in commercial nuclear power for 15+ years after my 6 years in the Navy, I found it easy to relate to what was depicted. I have not studied any in-depth material on the Fukushima incident, so I can't say with certainty how faithfully they recounted the events, but they based it upon authoritative sources, and it struck me as pretty authentic. The depiction of the technical aspects looked to me to be very well done.
The only real nit I would pick with it was a few instances where workers took some dramatic pauses while in high radiation fields. It is to be expected in a docu-drama I suppose, but I can tell you that the pursuit of ALARA ( as low as reasonably achievable ) dose is deeply ingrained in nuclear plant workers, and that includes minimizing time of exposure. The higher the dose rate, the more incentive to keep moving to get the task done.
I left nuclear plant work back in 1996. Some of the scenes really brought back memories that I had not thought about in years. While I fortunately never had to deal with the destruction in the aftermath of a tsunami / earthquake, I have made multiple entries into the Reactor Building while the reactor was operating ( commercial nuclear plants typically have some areas in the R.B. designed to allow entry at power ). In "The Days", they were focused on getting some valves open, whereas my work dealt with repair / replacement / calibration of instrumentation. Some entries just needed the typical Protective Clothing (cotton coveralls and hood, rubber gloves and shoes covers, etc.), but sometimes we had to mask up. Those masks with the filter cartridges add a major degree of difficulty to completing tasks, both from added heat stress and limiting vision. In more extreme conditions, respiratory protection moves up to wearing a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus ( same as what firefighters use ), and a tyvek suit over the P.C.s and SCBA. That obviously means carrying more weight, and more restrictive movement, but at least you get cooler air flowing into the mask, and you aren't having to suck air in through a filter. I made an entry at power in that setup, and I hate to think what it was like for those workers doing it in the wreckage at Fukushima... in the dark with only flashlights for illumination.
If you are interested in learning more about what happened at Fukushima, I don't think you will be disappointed in watching "The Days". Kudos to Netflix.
That Grabthar hammer line was such a cheesy line but Rickman delivered it was such feeling that it worked and you felt his distress over the loss of his friend.
The only real nit I would pick with it was a few instances where workers took some dramatic pauses while in high radiation fields. It is to be expected in a docu-drama I suppose, but I can tell you that the pursuit of ALARA ( as low as reasonably achievable ) dose is deeply ingrained in nuclear plant workers, and that includes minimizing time of exposure. The higher the dose rate, the more incentive to keep moving to get the task done.
I see this all the time in various TV shows / movies. Characters pausing to talk about something that could easily wait while they are in a dangerous situation. And often it is done, rather stupidly in my opinion, right after the writers etc. have just emphasized how dangerous the situation is.
For example, my wife and I have been watching some of the original Star Trek series episodes. A couple of nights ago they're on a planet that is going to be destroyed by its sun going nova within "single digit" minutes. Scotty is on the communicator rushing Kirk, Bones and Spock to set ready to be beamed up. He threatens to beam up Kirk right away before Bones/Spock are ready. They're really playing up the fact that they're down to less than a minute to get beamed up and warp out of danger. And just as they are all ready to actually beam up instead of calling Scotty and yell "GET US OUT OF HERE" they have a little non consequential 20 second discussion about events that have transpired. It was laughable, they could have saved that dialog until they got back aboard Enterprise but someone thought it critical to say before.
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
I see this all the time in various TV shows / movies. Characters pausing to talk about something that could easily wait while they are in a dangerous situation. And often it is done, rather stupidly in my opinion, right after the writers etc. have just emphasized how dangerous the situation is.
For example, my wife and I have been watching some of the original Star Trek series episodes. A couple of nights ago they're on a planet that is going to be destroyed by its sun going nova within "single digit" minutes. Scotty is on the communicator rushing Kirk, Bones and Spock to set ready to be beamed up. He threatens to beam up Kirk right away before Bones/Spock are ready. They're really playing up the fact that they're down to less than a minute to get beamed up and warp out of danger. And just as they are all ready to actually beam up instead of calling Scotty and yell "GET US OUT OF HERE" they have a little non consequential 20 second discussion about events that have transpired. It was laughable, they could have saved that dialog until they got back aboard Enterprise but someone thought it critical to say before.
Was that the episode where everyone got sent back to the past? If I remember the episode correctly there was a librarian that was the caretaker who was the last person left in the present.
I see this all the time in various TV shows / movies. Characters pausing to talk about something that could easily wait while they are in a dangerous situation. And often it is done, rather stupidly in my opinion, right after the writers etc. have just emphasized how dangerous the situation is.
For example, my wife and I have been watching some of the original Star Trek series episodes. A couple of nights ago they're on a planet that is going to be destroyed by its sun going nova within "single digit" minutes. Scotty is on the communicator rushing Kirk, Bones and Spock to set ready to be beamed up. He threatens to beam up Kirk right away before Bones/Spock are ready. They're really playing up the fact that they're down to less than a minute to get beamed up and warp out of danger. And just as they are all ready to actually beam up instead of calling Scotty and yell "GET US OUT OF HERE" they have a little non consequential 20 second discussion about events that have transpired. It was laughable, they could have saved that dialog until they got back aboard Enterprise but someone thought it critical to say before.
Was that the episode where everyone got sent back to the past? If I remember the episode correctly there was a librarian that was the caretaker who was the last person left in the present.
Wheels
Yep!
Kirk manages to help Bones and Spock back to the present with seconds to spare and they stand around talking about it instead of acting with the urgency required.
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
I enjoyed it mostly but something about it just felt 'off' and I can't put my finger on it.
Pretty much all Zack Snyder films have an eccentric feel to them. At least he can't be accused of being a conventional cookie-cutter director.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
That Grabthar hammer line was such a cheesy line but Rickman delivered it was such feeling that it worked and you felt his distress over the loss of his friend.
Wheels
Works even better after all the other times he says it in such an tired and annoyed way before that final time.
Last edited by F4UDash4; 12/30/2303:40 PM. Reason: Added video
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
In one of the commentaries for a Babylon 5 episode, Bruce Boxleitner mentions how Galaxy Quest is one of his favorite movies and how he felt it perfectly captured the whole sci-fi convention culture.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
That settles it... gotta watch Galaxy Quest this weekend!
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell