SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4634846 09/01/23 07:06 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,038
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,038
Likes: 66
How many here are currently trying to learn another language? I've been reading German almost on a daily basis so I've re-acquired most of those skills that I lost after I graduated from college but my spoken German has lagged behind. Watching movies and shows in German definitely helps but needless to say, I don't get to practice my spoken German very much where I live. hahaha


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,215
Likes: 40
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,215
Likes: 40
An auf hinter in neben uber unter vor und zwichen.
Als bei mit nach von zu. biggrin It is still there.

Not currently learning though.
Have been thinking of refreshing my french. Could be useful.

We did english, german and french in school.
I did some training in Paris in the 90`s and could discuss soccer with a taxi driver during the world championships.
That was fun. smile


“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
When I started Engineering College, one Foreign Language was Required.

I picked German because I respected the intellect of German Engineers. I thought I might learn something reading their work.

Two weeks into it, I determined my memory was garbage. If I kept studying the German language it would cost me too much time and hurt my grades.

So, I quit -- hoping the "requirement" would go away. Thankfully, it did (for me). By the time I graduated, learning a computer language "counted" as a foreign language. I learned FORTRAN in school -- and a few more after graduation before I was done. smile


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,162
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,162
Likes: 190
I took a German course 20+ years ago.... I can now count to 5 in German.... that's about all I remember. biggrin


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
I took a few years of French in junior high and high school, and French was spoken as much as English in the town I grew up in. I remember very, very little of it, and it sure would come in handy where I am now. Several times I’ve had to go fix a broken-down truck in areas with no cell service and the driver was from Québec and didn’t speak English. They’ll start speaking it machine-gun fast, I’ll put up a hand and say “je ne parlai pas le français depuis mille neuf cent quatre-vingt trois” (I haven’t spoken French since 1983) and get a funny look and a laugh. But our pickups all have 2-way radios and my boss is Québécois so I just put the driver on with him and get the translation.


Phil

"The abbot says we should be grateful to you for a number of things. He said it was thanks to you that we rediscovered the whole moral universe that we had been in danger of forgetting—courage, sacrifice, faith . . .” — From a forgotten Man-Kzin Wars book
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,215
Likes: 40
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,215
Likes: 40
Originally Posted by NH2112
I took a few years of French in junior high and high school, and French was spoken as much as English in the town I grew up in. I remember very, very little of it, and it sure would come in handy where I am now. Several times I’ve had to go fix a broken-down truck in areas with no cell service and the driver was from Québec and didn’t speak English. They’ll start speaking it machine-gun fast, I’ll put up a hand and say “je ne parlai pas le français depuis mille neuf cent quatre-vingt trois” (I haven’t spoken French since 1983) and get a funny look and a laugh. But our pickups all have 2-way radios and my boss is Québécois so I just put the driver on with him and get the translation.


In Switzerland of Maine maybe german would be convenient? smile


“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
I think French-speaking places get very nervous when they have German-speaking neighbors!


Phil

"The abbot says we should be grateful to you for a number of things. He said it was thanks to you that we rediscovered the whole moral universe that we had been in danger of forgetting—courage, sacrifice, faith . . .” — From a forgotten Man-Kzin Wars book
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,038
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,038
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NH2112
I think French-speaking places get very nervous when they have German-speaking neighbors!



The irony there is that the French have lost a lot more territory to English speakers than to German speakers during their history!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 297
Likes: 8
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 297
Likes: 8
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
How many here are currently trying to learn another language? I've been reading German almost on a daily basis so I've re-acquired most of those skills that I lost after I graduated from college but my spoken German has lagged behind. Watching movies and shows in German definitely helps but needless to say, I don't get to practice my spoken German very much where I live. hahaha

I'm learning Portuguese and Greek. I've also just started (like a couple of months ago or so) to start reading Arabic. I tried to learn some Arabic in the past but it's brutal. However what made me give it up was speaking to an arab dude (in English lol) and finding out that a lot of the stuff I learned was simply wrong.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
B
Hotshot
Hotshot
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by NH2112
“je ne parlai pas le français depuis mille neuf cent quatre-vingt trois”


I think it's actually "Je n'ai pas parlé francais..." but either way the point got across!

I am speaking/studying French, Spanish, Polish, and Tagalog in that order on a fairly regular basis. I hear Polish everyday. So if I pay attention enough I can understand if I'm being talked about hahaha!

v6,
boNes


"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,300
Likes: 3
Yeah, the 1st person of “avoir” should have probably been in there. I think “parlai” translates as “did speak” and not “spoke/spoken”, if Monsieur had heard me make that mistake I’d have been conjugating every tense of 10 “-er” verbs 5X each as part of my homework that night LOL


Phil

"The abbot says we should be grateful to you for a number of things. He said it was thanks to you that we rediscovered the whole moral universe that we had been in danger of forgetting—courage, sacrifice, faith . . .” — From a forgotten Man-Kzin Wars book

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,082,357 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1