SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4634079 08/22/23 07:05 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
What are the earliest memories you have of watching TV? There are a handful of shows that I have vivid memories of watching when I was 4 and 5 years old:

1. Speed Racer

2. Starblazers

3. Looney Tunes

4. The Bugaloos

5. Land of the Lost


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,189
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,189
Likes: 37
In no particular order:

Wild Wild West
Rat Patrol
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea
Star Trek
Batman
The Time Tunnel
Lost in Space

And yes, Looney Toons


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,158
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,158
Likes: 190
Honeymooners

Jackie Gleason Show

Lawrence Welk

Rat Patrol

Combat

Hee Haw

Three Stooges

Andy Griffith

Lassie

Gilligan's Island

Gomer Pyle USMC

Star Trek


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
My very first memory was watching Speed Racer about 3-4 years old? (1971-72).

This is how forward thinking I was back then...I was watching SR and my Mom told me to turn off the TV and come get something to eat. I turned off the TV thinking the episode I was watching would be back where I left off when I returned. I was devastated to see Romper Room on instead.

So I was thinking about DVR's long before others! lol.

I also remember the first TV show that scared me (about the same age as above)...there was somebody that got hit with a big tree log that was set as trap and presumably killed them. Never knew what show it was. Fast forward to 5 years ago and I saw the scene that scared me way back then and the memories flooded back. It ended up being an episode from "The Girl from Uncle".

Good topic!


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
Probably 'Watch With Mother'. Brits of a certain age may remember it.

Fireball XL5

Stingray

Dr Who (William Hartnell)

Thunderbirds

Last edited by Chucky; 08/22/23 08:04 PM.

If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
We did not have many channels when I was a child. 2 I think. Cable was not available until I was 13 or so.

Saturday mornings always started with The Hilarious House Of Frankenstein.
https://youtu.be/W_Hd8F__5F8?list=PLmESdUVQzm3wd7bKKOOHr2GA41YGlbEVi

Spiderman was on before school
Bugs Bunny & Road Runner hour on Sundays
The Wonderful World Of Disney
Hockey Night In Canada on Saturday nights.
Hawaii 5 O
Sanford and Son
Dukes Of Hazard
SCTV
The Six Million Dollar Man
Little House On The Prairie
Charlies Angels.

That about it off the top of my head.


Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Motorius Emeritus
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,582
Likes: 39
Perry Mason thorough a keyhole when I was actually supposed to be sleeping. I remember the voices and the sounds fascinated me.

Those shows that were more suitable for very young me were Thunderbirds. “Stand-by for Action!” And Flipper, iirc.

A little older and it was Star Trek, Time Tunnel, Mission Impossible, all picked up from south of the border and in German dub because boring Danish State Broadcasting never deemed such shows appropriate viewing. Well, I learned to speak German that way.


Jens C. Lindblad


Sent from my Desktop
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,954
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,954
Likes: 141
The three networks, NBC, CBS and ABC. There was a UHF channel but we didn't really get good reception of it, so I don't remember anything noteworthy about it.

Quite a few of the shows listed here: 1960–61 United States network television schedule

The saturday morning cartoons, some of which had some material with double meanings that the adults could enjoy too (Boris & Natasha come to mind).

I grew up in my grandparents house. The first runs and reruns flow together in the ol' memory, so it's challenging to sort them out. Walt Disney, Lassie, Dennis the Menace, Ed Sullivan show, Jack Benny, Red Skelton, The Rifleman, Walter Cronkite, Huntley-Brinkley, Danny Thomas, Wagon Train, My Three Sons, Rawhide, Route 66, Jackie Gleason, Sing along with Mitch, Bonanza, Perry Mason, Have Gun - Will Travel, and Gunsmoke.

The first real news event that really stuck in my mind was a few years later when JFK was assassinated, and then seeing Jack Ruby shoot Oswald live, and then get the instant replay treatment over and over. It was probably about that time that the space shots started getting my attention, too.

My, how things have changed...


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,094
Likes: 169
Leave it to Beaver
Andy Griffith
The Munsters


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
We literally lived in the Mountains of Virginia (Covington outskirts) -- starting when age 2 -- lasting to age 8.

Quote
"Covington is an independent city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. As of the 2020 census, the population was 5,737, making it the second-least populous city in Virginia. It is surrounded by Alleghany County, of which it is also the county seat."


No TV. Just radio, comic books, encyclopedias, and Drive In Movies. Also, walks in the woods armed with BB guns (alone and with others my age), occasional shooting and hunting with Dad.

When we visited Cleveland (my Grandparents a couple days at a time), we watched mostly kids shows and news on their fabulous 9" TV. Though I can picture a couple of them, I can't remember the names.


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,225
Likes: 1
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,225
Likes: 1
The Honeymooners ( Jackie Gleason )
Bonanza
The Friendly Giant

All in black & white smile


Archie Smythe

carpe diem
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,825
Likes: 13
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,825
Likes: 13
Early stuff that I actually can say I was watching. I was an only child so I watched too much TV, I was told.

Loony Tunes
Speed Racer
Bonanza
Star Trek ( I've pretty much watched Star Trek and its progeny my entire life)
Lost in Space
High Chaparral
Gomer Pyle
The Rifleman
Gun Smoke

When I was a little kid, if it had Buggs Bunny and friends, space ships, or cowboys and guns, I was watching it.
And if course Speed Racer!






Last edited by Tarnsman; 08/23/23 01:33 AM.

Intel i7-14700K, 32 GB DDR 5, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, AMD Radeon RX 9070 XT 16 GB
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 99
E
Junior Member
Junior Member
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 99
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
Benny Hill
Dr Who
Space 1999
Land of the Lost
BJ and the Bear
Simon & Simon
The A Team
Magnum PI
Dukes of Hazzard
SWAT
Matinee at the Bijou

oof...getting all "nostalgy" in here

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
The single oldest thing I can remember watching on the TV is Hector's House.


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Guess the titles:

show with the potty mouths retirement home old women

show with the shrieky voice lady

show with the family with the rude wife (her real husband hung out with Harry)

show with the old lady detective wannabe

show with 4 fashionably fat ladies

show with the alcoholic news lady

I was a kid, we only had one TV and my sisters chose the programming.

But I got to watch cartoons during the day when they weren't home.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Great responses from everyone and I have to add that it was most likely "Starblazers" that got me interested in science fiction at my very early age of 5.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,707 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1