SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 350 of 442 1 2 … 348 349 350 351 352 … 441 442
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I saw a couple of movies last weekend:

1) "88"(2015) -- Neat "Memento" like independent thriller about a girl who enters a fuge state and bad things follow. Very dark, but manages to stay interesting throughout. Katherine Isabel is awesome, as always, and Christopher Lloyd plays a significant role. If you enjoy Tarantino films, you'll like this one. *** out of **** stars.

2) "3 Days to Kill" -- Costner delivers, as usual, in this Luc Besson co-written dramatic thriller. I particularly enjoyed how they melded a father/daughter drama together with a CIA hitman flick. While not quite as strong as Costner's previous "Mr. Brooks"(which is truly an exceptional film), the picture works and was fun to watch. Good movie, overall. *** out of **** stars.

My turd sense is tingling. I haven't seen a stinker in three weeks now, and am due to slip in my screening process I use to weed out the good from trash before I watch, and pluck a bad one from the bin...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
I looked up "88" and it has a 4.9 rating on IMDB so it seems you were quite a bit more generous in your review than those IMDB users who voted. smile


I haven't seen "3 Days to Kill" but I may check it out. That was back when Amber Heard was smoking hot and before she made all of her craziness public.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
The thing about IMDB is the reviews can easily be skewed. My process when I dig for movies is as follows, once I have identified a potential candidate:

1) Read the one or two line description. If interesting, then...

2) Look at score

3) Skim review scores and look for a pattern. If I see lots of one star scores with lots of support, discard movie. If I see lots of high reviews with weak support, discard movie. If I see lots of high review scores with support, despite the average rating of the movie being poor, we might have buried treasure.


I generally don't read the reviews, unless I suspect the movie might be contaminated by the woke mind virus, and then I might peak at a few. If you look at (2015)"88"'s reviews, you will notice there are many high scores, but very few reviews, and an abysmal number of total ratings. Typically films such as this are rated down by the woke clods that tend to infect IMDB with their nonsense.

Actually revealing a candidate to start this process with is another task in itself.

This process is how I have uncovered other gems in the past, which at the time were rated extremely poorly such as "Lost River," which when I watched was rated a 4.2 on IMDB! Since then the rating has climbed to a 5.7, and I believe when I saw the movie rated it a solid three stars--which is good, but not great.

The Blastman rating system:

* = poor
** = fair - These movies aren't bad but aren't great, either. You could do worse.
*** = good
*** 1/2 = great and for the most part, must also be rewatchable, and usually beg to be.
**** = best of the best, will stand the test of the time, and can be watched over and over, and even redefine genres and can potentially change popular culture. These are by nature extremely rare.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 05/17/23 05:19 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

**** = best of the best, will stand the test of the time, and can be watched over and over, and even redefine genres and can potentially change popular culture. These are by nature extremely rare.



Agreed and you are then talking about directors like Kurosawa, Kubrick, Spielberg, Fincher, Tarantino and Lynch who each made several movies which fit your description IMHO.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/17/23 05:25 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
2 movies I saw recently:

Banshees Of Inisherin
Colin Farrel, Brendan Gleason & director Martin McDonagh reunite (e.g. In Bruges) to make a slightly weird Irish tale about 2 guys falling out over not very much. As it's set during the Irish civil war, which is mentioned but not really shown, I tend to think that this is an allegorical tale of the Irish civil war taken down to the scale of 2 people who were previously good friends falling out.
Is a dark comedy, but very dark in places, HIGHLY recommended.

White Noise
Adam Driver & Don Cheadle in a what feels like a Woody Allen-esque comedy drama. Half the movie is about how a family are affected by a toxic train accident event, and the second half is a weird fallout from that. (Fallout as in consequent situations.) I enjoyed it but if you don't like talky existential crises-type situations you might not.


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,875
Likes: 6
M
Senior Member
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,875
Likes: 6
Predator... as I happened to catch the start of it when it appeared on one of our TV channels a few days ago.

Simple. Wonderful. Just the right amount of character development/backstory...ie hardly any.
Ending a bit unbelievable though. He got a long way from that explosion in a very short time, and the choppa found him rather quickly. biggrin

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by DM

Banshees Of Inisherin


Saw it a few months ago. Wasn't expecting it to go where it did. Very enjoyable movie.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by mikew
Predator... as I happened to catch the start of it when it appeared on one of our TV channels a few days ago.

Simple. Wonderful. Just the right amount of character development/backstory...ie hardly any.
Ending a bit unbelievable though. He got a long way from that explosion in a very short time, and the choppa found him rather quickly. biggrin


Who would have thought back in 1987 that "Predator" would have two future US State governors on the cast? smile


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
My wife and I started watching "Fringe" a few days ago. We are about 4 episodes in and it's fairly interesting sort of 'X Files" plot, lots of weird stuff going on with an eclectic FBI team investigating them. We're not hooked yet but I plan on giving it a chance for at least a few more episodes.

Anyone else seen this? Opinion?


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
My wife and I started watching "Fringe" a few days ago. We are about 4 episodes in and it's fairly interesting sort of 'X Files" plot, lots of weird stuff going on with an eclectic FBI team investigating them. We're not hooked yet but I plan on giving it a chance for at least a few more episodes.

Anyone else seen this? Opinion?


The first season of "Fringe" is most absolutely heavily inspired by the X-Files and JJ Abrams has even said as much in interviews. The parallels are unmistakable. Overall I enjoyed the show and the later seasons delve very heavily into an over-arching mythology just like the X-Files did! wink


My favorite character by far was Walter Bishop which was brilliantly played by John Noble.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I have been avoiding "Banshees of Inisherin" because of the potential of a homosexual angle. These days, given how duplicitous Hollywood is, one cannot be too cautious. Do I have nothing to worry about if I were to give the film a watch?

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

My favorite character by far was Walter Bishop which was brilliantly played by John Noble.


Yeah, he's a hoot. Was great in "Elementary" as Sherlock Holmes father too.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

My favorite character by far was Walter Bishop which was brilliantly played by John Noble.


Yeah, he's a hoot. Was great in "Elementary" as Sherlock Holmes father too.



If you stick with the show until the season one finale you will be pleasantly surprised by who the mystery guest star is......

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/18/23 05:08 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
In Darkest Hour, 1940, after Belgium and Holland surrender, France and England making a final stand in France, Churchill flies to France to meet with the French Prime Minister

That aircraft Churchill is on is wrong

RAF did not get the C-47 Dakota until 1942 and the first ones went to RAF in India

[Linked Image]


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
It's called a movie, not a documentary. To be quite honest I can forgive a historical-based film when it makes a mistake with the hardware. What I CAN'T forgive is when a historical-based film changes the motivations of key historical figures or when it outright changes the course of events from what actually occurred in reality.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I have been avoiding "Banshees of Inisherin" because of the potential of a homosexual angle. These days, given how duplicitous Hollywood is, one cannot be too cautious. Do I have nothing to worry about if I were to give the film a watch?


You'll survive it smile the topic of a man's love for his donkey is tastefully handled.


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by DM
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I have been avoiding "Banshees of Inisherin" because of the potential of a homosexual angle. These days, given how duplicitous Hollywood is, one cannot be too cautious. Do I have nothing to worry about if I were to give the film a watch?


You'll survive it smile the topic of a man's love for his donkey is tastefully handled.

Donkey ? tasteful ? how is that possible hahaha

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
You'll see wink


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by DM
You'll see wink

Bouquet of carrots ? candlelight ?

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Originally Posted by DM
You'll see wink

Bouquet of carrots ? candlelight ?


Jesus. The funniest & best answer to that will get me banned biggrin


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Page 350 of 442 1 2 … 348 349 350 351 352 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,728 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1