|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
This is a movie about the first black US Navy aviator during the Korean War. There's a lot of news right now in Hollywood that this completely flopped financially at the box office. Do we have any theories as to why so few people were interested in seeing this?
1. Subject matter? I guess no one really cares about seeing a Korean War movie? Admittedly the Korean War seems to be a forgotten war compared to other wars.
2. Poorly marketed? It seems this movie really wasn't marketed very much either online or on TV. Maybe the studio execs already knew this was going to flop so why pour more money into it?
3. Post-Covid effect? Maybe a lot more people will see this movie but not until they can stream it at home?
Either way, I just think it's pretty sad that this movie flopped so badly because it will just discourage studios even more from making films like these in the future.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 99
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 99 |
I was really looking forward to this movie and even I still haven't seen it. It's really such a niche movie that I can totally understand why it flopped sadly. No one I know other than maybe the few veterans I know would have any idea about ANYTHING related to Korea and even they probably won't see this movie even when it goes to Netflix. Your average person off the street has never even heard of the Korean War and even if they sorta remember something from middle school history, they could not care less about it. Yeah, it is sad, but only a blockbuster with big names can draw a crowd now, especially a war movie, but honestly I don't think even Tom Cruise could have pulled in crowds for this movie.... well maybe if it was semi-fictional and wasn't a "modern look at racism" which from the reviews I have read is what is really is. THis is just my opinion, but I don't think black people in general would give two hoots about this movie and the people who might want to go see it might be turned off from the "evil white folks trying to keep black pilots down" historical theme. People are tired of being lectured to in entertainment, but I could be totally wrong. I will see it this week though.
Last edited by ebud; 12/05/22 02:54 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
You make some valid points ebud and thanks for that well written response.
Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/05/22 02:56 PM.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 15,786
I Fought Diablo Veteran
|
|
I Fought Diablo Veteran
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 15,786 |
If the critics at Rottentomatoes gave it an 82 and the audience score was 92 ..... that's enough for me to give it a chance with me too.
"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
If the critics at Rottentomatoes gave it an 82 and the audience score was 92 ..... that's enough for me to give it a chance with me too. I'll be seeing it on Friday. My wife has zero interest but that's fine. I've been to the movie theater before by myself. But yes, both the critics and the people who bothered to go see it have given the movie high marks. It just failed to interest enough people.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 15,786
I Fought Diablo Veteran
|
|
I Fought Diablo Veteran
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 15,786 |
[quote=Haggart]If the critics at Rottentomatoes gave it an 82 and the audience score was 92 ..... that's enough for me to give it a chance with me too. I'll be seeing it on Friday. My wife has zero interest but that's fine. I've been to the movie theater before by myself. haha ! ...... i know what u mean Panzer ! ....... while the focus of the movie may not be just about the war ...if one can include the word "war" in it .... then my chances that my wife would want to see it have already dropped 30% lol ! ....and I'll add ....% chance my wife would play a sim or mmo with me ..... -200%
"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,215 Likes: 40
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,215 Likes: 40 |
Mixed reviews on IMDB. Varying mostly from 6 - 10, averaging 7. I will see this when it is available in Norway. Some people say it is slow, with little action. Don`t mind that really. A movie about a man and his way towards military aviation is sparking my interest any day. Hehe, haven`t seen Maverick yet so, yeah. Did a search on Itunes for it. Result? Selena Gomez: Devotion. I`ll wait. 
“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
Did a search on Itunes for it. Result? Selena Gomez: Devotion. I`ll wait. It's still in movie theaters so it wouldn't be on ITunes yet.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 353
Veteran Member
|
|
Veteran Member
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 353 |
Planning on seeing it Friday. It looks like an interesting story. I was surprised to find out how many theaters in the area have closed down for good as a result of COVID. Also haven’t seen a lot of advertising on the movie.
While my wife has no objection to war movies (as long as I don’t object to chick flicks), she also hates the thought of MMOs or sims.
Last edited by Snow46; 12/05/22 04:51 PM.
“We are what we repeatably do, therefore excellence is not an act but a habit” Aristotle
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19 |
One review I read Saw it and it was "Based on True Events", aka Hollywood took liberties with the truth/reality of history. next part has spoilersHudner never shot down a Mig-15 with or without Ensign Brown's participation.
The use of the word "scuttle" applies to the self sinking of a ship and not the (napalming) of the crashed F4U-4 Corsair's to deny their exploitation by the enemy.
Don't believe Ensign Brown disobeyed orders to not attack a bridge which the movie shows he single-handedly destroyed either. The airplane graphics were EXCELLENT. The ship was so-so of an Essex Class carrier. How they parked aircraft on the flight deck was never done, but apparently desired to fill up the camera's lens with "stuff" to catch the eye, just like so much flak you couldn't walk on, but would SWIM in!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
The U.S. Navy did not have jets on their aircraft carriers when Korean War began in 1950? Using a 10 years old aircraft?
No one did in 1950. It was only 5 years after the end of WWII you know.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47 |
The U.S. Navy did not have jets on their aircraft carriers when Korean War began in 1950? Using a 10 years old aircraft?
You realize that the Air Force still uses H model B52s, right? They last rolled off the production line in 1962...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328 Likes: 19 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,158 Likes: 190
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,158 Likes: 190 |
Even with new F-35's being bought in increasing numbers the AVERAGE age of all current US fighter aircraft is 28 years old.
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,146 Likes: 8
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,146 Likes: 8 |
The U.S. Navy did not have jets on their aircraft carriers when Korean War began in 1950? Using a 10 years old aircraft?
The U.S. navy in Korea was still very much using prop planes (along with jets). Even by your own Wiki article, there's a photo of Brown in the cockpit of his F4U.
"Go Fly A Kite!" -Jason R. FS-WWI Project Leader FS-WWI Plane Pack SiteIntel i7 14700k Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite X 64GB Corsair DDR5 6400 Dominator Titanium AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor Corsair HX1200 PSU 1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD 2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs Sound Blaster ZxR Win 10 x64 Pro HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292 Likes: 16
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292 Likes: 16 |
Saw a post about this in an airplane group on Facebook, where someone asked «Woke-meter reading from 1-10?» and someone replied «0!», so maybe it’s not woke enough..  That, and the fact that if you asked 100 people on the street about the Korean War, I bet 97 of them would go «the whatnow?» Apart from the Panther and the Banshee, the USN didn’t use jets in Korea as far as I can remember. Even the USAF used F-51s, F-84s and F-80s until they were outclassed by the MiG-15 and relegated to attack duties. They even flew B-29s on bombing missions until the losses became unbearable.
In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 99
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 99 |
well crap, I tried to stay away from reviews and reaction posts since they usually spoil the movie but since there are no plot twists to this I gave it a go... looks like I will wait for it to make it to rentals or Netflix... sounds like a snoozefest and like I feared, its less about the war and more about the relationships and racism of the era... I know lots of people seem to enjoy it, but just as many think it was slow... but this post on IMDB confirmed what I was thinking about the film... I get it, but that doesn't mean I have to like the direction they took and from what I have read, the flying scenes/combat make up maybe 10% of the movie  "This movie is about Korean War heroes and it should stand on it's own by showing the accomplishments of the service members. Anyone who's slightly aware of American history knows the challenges black citizens faced, especially those excelling in areas where they wouldn't normally, such as flying. Rather than focus on the achievements this movie constantly reminds the viewer every step of the way that blacks were discriminated against and bullied in an overt manner. If you're looking for war action there's very little; it focuses almost solely on the constant discrimination Jeese Brown faced as a young pilot."
Last edited by ebud; 12/06/22 01:55 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035 Likes: 66 |
Thanks for that info ebud and it's a shame that so little actual air combat is featured.
Take another war movie for example, "Glory". That featured race relations AND it had several really fantastic battle scenes.
So, it CAN be done but you have to have the right people involved in making the film.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,158 Likes: 190
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,158 Likes: 190 |
There are two heroes portrayed in this film, Brown and Hudner, each of a distinctly different type of heroism. My concern for this film has always been, since I knew it was being made, that it would concentrate almost entirely on one hero at the expense of the other. I will probably end up watching at home on my own TV at some point.
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
|
|
|
|
|
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|